Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 8494 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I'm designing a large FileMaker database and I'm now lookin to integrate bar coding into my database. I need some suggestions on printers and readers, and what is the best way to go about this challenge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------

_ _____________ _

Chris Marriott

The Cyber Rant

Rant Promotions Inc.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, sorry I didn't get to your post (MacWorld Expo and all).

I'll need a little more information to make recommendations. It's like a "I want to buy a car, which one should I get?" question. wink.gif

What platform are you on (Mac or PC)?

Do you want to print labels by the sheet or one at a time?

What size labels do you want to print?

Are there special material considerations (labels must withstand cryogenic temperatures, moisture, adhesive must be peelable and restickable, etc.)?

Where is the reading being done? How far away do you need to be from the label when scanning (they do scan railroad cars!)?

-bd

Thanks for offering to help me out!

I'm running FileMaker on a network of Macs with FMP5 Server

We're looking to print lables mostly one at a time.

They will primarily be used to place on catalogues (hundreds to thousands of them)

Size is not a large concern, but we're looking for something not much larger than maybe half the size of a business card at most

Barcode Scanners:

For a lot of use, I'd stay with a laser scanner unstead of a wand. If you're on a PC or ADB Mac, I'd go with the Unitech scanner. The wedge is built-in (it doesn't require a separate electronics box to interface between the keyboard and the computer). On an ADB Mac, the scanner should go between the mouse an keyboard (some don't pass through the power key). For USB use, I don't have any direct experience with a particular model, but take a look at www.posdirect.com.

Printers:

For low volume: Seiko label printers (wide carriage work the best) plus barcode fonts (try Bear Rock technologies). The printer is cheap (about $240), but labels are fairly expensive. Printing is WYSIWYG. Paper labels might not be durable enough.

For high volume or special labels: This gets tricky. Barcode Blasters from Cognitive Solutions division of Axiohm work well (www.cognitive.com, sold by POSDirect), BUT are serial printers, require a FM serial plug-in, a custom cable, and you must hand code the language necessary to generate the labels (It's not too bad if you've done it, not for beginners!). Labels are MUCH cheaper and available in many sizes and materials. Printer is $750-$1000 depending upon model (width and whether Direct Thermal or Thermal Transfer).

Unless you have a hardware background, plan on getting help with this one.

Another options exists, between these two, that might be of interest. As part of the P-touch label maker line, Brother International Corp. has a label printer called the P-touch model PT-9200DX. It prints WYSIWYG, it's thermal transfer (durable labels in colors) and about $500. Of the three, It sounds best for your application, but I have no direct experience with it (I do with the Seiko and Barcode Blaster).

-bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited January 24, 2001).]

This topic is 8494 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.