Server Maintenance This Week. ×

barcoded stock control query

This topic is 8376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi I'm new here

I want to use filemaker to control stock in/out and produce invoices.

It's for flowers. (Boxes of).

In:

Flowers will arrive, their barcode will be scanned and added to current stock levels according to flower type, whilst creating a unique dated entry for itself.

Out:

Print out new barcodes with our unique reference with 'cost to purchaser'.

Scan in on sale subtracting from stock database.

Print invoice

Add to revenue

We get:

How many in

Cost of each

New total stock

Unique reference for each new box

New barcode with cost to punter

Subtraction on sale from main database

Invoices

Total in

Total in cost

Total sales

Total sales revenue

All searchable by flower type, month, week etc.

I've thought it best to use multiple databases each doing it's own calculation which can be fed to any other.

Main database holding:

Total Stock

Individual box records

Costs: expenditure/revenue

Second database (front end):

scanning in/out

+/- from main database

Third database (front end 2)???

Inputting current costs for each type

Printing new barcode

Printing invoice

I thought breaking the database down would make it a more stable set up.

I currently use Apples Macs

for which I would need - hand scanner, barcode font, interface between filemaker and scanner (hardware/software?).

I don't have a problem moving to pc's for a work set up if cost and ease necessitate it.

I live in the UK

I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

I think I'm OK on working out the database set up, the interfacing of the scanner and filemaker is something I basically haven't a clue about.

I've noticed on some of your articles that I've read that there are external devices that can be programmed to input certain information or run scripts.

Is this the way to go?

regards

nozzer

Ooooo, where to start? Ok.

BARCODE SCANNERS

Barcode scanners plug into the keyboard interface (either ADB or USB). ADB applications (and PC keyboard interfaces) use a piece of electronics called a "wedge" which is inserted typically between the mouse and keyboard (because they don't always pass the power key signal). This wedge can be a separate small electronics box or built into the scanner (scanner has a cable with two connectors). Scanners come in roughly three types: a) a barcode wand which you hold like a pencil and scan across the barcode, : a CCD scanner which you hold up to the barcode, and c) a laser scanner which scans a red beam across the barcode.

There really is not software needed to make the scanner operate. To the computer (and FileMaker) the scanned barcode looks like someone typing on the keyboard. Scanners (actually the wedges) are programmed by scanning barcodes in the scanner manual to speak either PC or Mac keyboard codes. Many wedges allow preamble and postambles to be programmed. A Command-1 could be used as a postamble to trigger a script. This is typically in addition to a termination character (tab, return, etc.).

PRINTING

Two broad approaches exist for printing barcode labels. The approach used is largely dictated by the label material, label size, adhesive, and number of labels printed at one time.

The first approach is to use conventional, non-barcode specific printers and barcode fonts. Laser or ink jet printers are useful for printing a page of labels at one time on a paper material (some polyester labels are also available). Seiko, CoStar and Dymo label printers (Seiko wide label types work well with the Mac, CoStar not very well) can be use to print one label at a time on paper only. If you need a plastic label (flowers get wet), the next step is to try one of the Brother label printers. These print using a thermal transfer process on a continuous plastic tape (they cut automatically). For ADB, I like the Unitech MS690WA-1 by SNX. For USB, look at the Welch Allyn 3800i.

The second approach is to use proprietary barcode printers. These are useful when you need high volume printing, special label sizes, special materials, special adhesives (cryogenic, high temp, etc.). This class of printers range from about US$ 500 to US$ 5,000, use a thermal transfer printing process, and require a special printer driver. I just saw the first printer driver for the Mac for this class of printers about a month ago, they are very rare. We have traditionally used a serial plug-in for FM and hand compiled the code to talk to these printers. We've used them for biotech clients to print cryogenic labels for sample holders (microtiter plates). If you can avoid this approach, it's a good idea.

I hope this description is of some help.

-bd

• Newbies

Thanks for the information - really useful.

I'm going to print it off and digest it then I'll probably post again with a 'what if..?" or revised scenario.

Once again thanks for your time and knowledge, much appreciated.

regards

Nozzer

This topic is 8376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.