Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Pro 11 Adv

This topic is 4393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is there still a Forum for Filemaker 11 Pro Advanced ... if not can I ask for help in this forum..

Why des one get the messageunrelated table . I have inherited a very old 1998 -9 FP3 database and can not figure out most of the relationships. Must a layout have a table linked to it or vice versa

If a table existed at that time and now say I have tried a look up or the like would this message be given. I am very new to this

Hi Art,

here are a few things to Zero in on ...

1. Look at Layouts > Layout Setup and see which table occurrence the layout is based upon (this is always critical information to FM).
  2. Then go to your graph and find that table occurrence in your graph. If there isn't one then that is your problem but you will probably continue to item #3
  3. The table occurrence name in your graph (if it exists) will display its table if you hover on the upper right corner of the table occurrence.
  4. Then go to File > Manage > External File References. It is probably broken there and needs to be re-specified.

In FileMaker, the layout is critically tied to the table occurrence it belongs to in the graph. Scripts fire based upon their perspective at the moment of firing. I could not imagine working in an FM3 file ... was it properly converted?

Must a layout have a table linked to it or vice versa

Keen observation and absolutely true ... a layout is required before you can use a table and tables must be tied to a layout ... corrected ... layouts must belong to a table (as specified in #1 above). :^)

UPDATE: Depending upon where in that chain you lost your file reference, will determine whether you will also have to re-specify each field on the layout

Edited by LaRetta

Why des one get the messageunrelated table . I have inherited a very old 1998 -9 FP3 database and can not figure out most of the relationships.

You can probably avoid this problem if you convert the entire solution (i.e. all the files that make up the solution) together.

That said, with anything more than the simplest solutions, there will be additional work to be done after the conversion. If you are "very new to this" you may consider hiring a professional to do this for you.

This topic is 4393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.