Server Maintenance This Week. ×

converting multi-file solution

This topic is 4381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a multi-file solution in FM11 that I am trying to convert to FM12.

I want to change the file names in FM12 to reflect a new release of my software as well as the fact that it is using FM12.

For example, files names in FM 11 were 'xx4v11xx' reflecting release 4 of my software using the FM 11 platform.

I want the files in FM12 to have names like 'xx5v12xx'.

What is the procedure to do this? All attempts to get to new names in FM12 have so far have failed to convert the relationships resulting in 'field not found' for any relationship that has tables in different files.

I don't know how you did it before without breaking references, but when renaming files it's best to use the developer utilities in FM Advanced.

http://fmhelp.filemaker.com/fmphelp_11/en/html/fmpa_tools.24.6.html#1027919

I am using FM Pro Advanced. I did figure out how to do it. Although I think what I did could also be done in FM Pro.

I went to 'File/Manage/External Data Sources'.

Changed the 'Name' and 'Details' of each external source to the new file name.

It caused a little chaos until I got all the Name/Details in all the files changed and then renamed the files. The 'opening script' in the files were either looking for the old or the newly named files depending on how many of the files had been processed.

My earlier attempts failed because I was adding external sources instead of updating the existing ones.

Hope this can help somebody else.

File references are one thing. You may still have broken references in your scripts.

Why not use the tool which is made for the job? It also allows you to save your settings so you can repeat the process quickly next time.

What tool is that?

I don't know how you did it before without breaking references, but when renaming files it's best to use the developer utilities in FM Advanced.

http://fmhelp.filemaker.com/fmphelp_11/en/html/fmpa_tools.24.6.html#1027919

I hadn't thought to use the Developer Utilities to rename the files. That is the solution - when you have FM Advanced

But I think this will work for those who don't have 'Advanced'. After following the procedure below, I tested quite thoroughly and everything seemed to work.

I went to 'File/Manage/External Data Sources'.

Changed the 'Name' and 'Details' of each external source to the new file name.

I do, and I now have a .sav file to do the renaming for my application.

I was just offering an alternative that seems to work for others who might be reading this thread that have a similar need but do NOT have advanced.

This topic is 4381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.