Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Losing records when sharing databases

Maria Luisa

This topic is 8690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all

I need help with a FileMaker Pro 5.0 database which we set up in-house, with which I'm having the following problem:

The database keeps very simple information on all the jobs we're working on, from the obvious "client name" "client address", "job name", "job number" and so on, to things like "items to bill", "fees", etc. We have used this database before for a long time, but only one person had access to it, so there was no need to share the file over a network from a server, but this has changed: we decided to make it accessible to all staff so that each person could enter their own information without delays from passing the written details to one person who would wait until he/she had time to input the data, and also everyone would have access to the information. For this purpose we bought the relevant amount of licences and started working in the new way, and that's when our problems started.

Basically, what happens far too often is that a person opens the file through the network from the server, using it either as a host or as a guest, then creates a new record and enters all the relevant information and, at the end of the task, tries to print the current record (as we have to send hard copies of all the jobs to a person who works from home). When we try to print, the Mac crashes! And that's not all... when we restart and open the database again, the record being worked on when the crash happened is still there, but ALL the information entered has disappeared, and sometimes we find that the information from the previous record has also disappeared!!

This is a very big problem for us (mainly for me, cause I'm the FileMaker person here!!) and I need to be able to solve it very, very soon. I really would appreciate any help/ideas that anyone might have. I'm guessing that it has something to do with sharing the file over a network, cause this never happened before. PLEASE HELP!!

• 4 weeks later...

With this sort of problem it usually isn't FM per se, but a problem with print drivers, file servers, system corruption, etc. To solve this problem, more information is needed about the computer models, server type, operating systems, printer types, etc. Even then, it may be hard to solve remotely. So many times it is something obvious when on site, but not disclosed by Q&A. One thing to try is to host the database on the local drive of a computer that is not used by anyone. Only use the database as a guest. Host crashes are generally much worse that guest crashes. -bd

This topic is 8690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.