Remote Scripter / Java

This topic is 4265 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I am having problems to install the Remote Scripter. You are asking for Java Virtual Machine (JVM) version 1.5 or later, on one hand the Java Website tells me, that I have a version 6.sth but when I promt the java -version on the C: I get an error that I misspelled the name or that java does not exist.

The download-link from the documentation wants to install 7.4, so I do not really understand this version-differences 1.5 or 7.4?

What do I have to install now and why does the 6.sth-Java-Version not contain the JVM I need?

I have a filemaker-server 11 advanced installation on 2 machines. Is it right, that when I want to use the Remote Scripter with IWP, that I have to install it on the computer that has the web-engine to make it run in IWP and also on the computer of my development-Filemaker-Pro-Client to use the functions etc.?

Quite helpless as you can see :c(

Nicola

It is correct that you will need a 32 bit version of Java (JVM) installed for the plugin to be installed correctly. The Java 6 version will contain the JVM you need provided it is the 32 bit version. The reason for this is that FM Pro runs in 32 bit.

As for the RemoteScripter implementation, you are correct that you will need the plugin installed on the machine running the web engine (enabling IWP to use the plugin) and the "robot" computer (FM Pro client where the script is being triggered to execute).

• Newbies

Hi Brent, thank you, I´ve got the Java up and running but regarding the question how many things I need to do I am still kind of lost.

Maybe I tell you what I did and you tell me if I am right please?

1. I put the Plugin in the folder FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/wpc/Plugins and restarted Web-Publishing

2. I installed a Filemaker Pro on my Filemaker Server (I know not recommended) and also installed the Plugin and started it.

Only then the IWP sayed its running in IWP, so I do not address the Script in the running Server?

Do you think on a 2 Machine-Installation I put the Filemaker Pro-Copy on the WebPublishing-Machine or the Filemaker Database Machine?

3. I started IWP from outside and it worked but i feel like I am doing some detours here?

I actually want exactly what you do in your demo, I need to provide pdf-files to external IWP-Users but I thought your Plugin would save me the extra Filemaker Pro Copy but it does not right?

The way RemoteScripter works is to trigger a running instance of FM Pro to execute a script. This can be a single installation of FM Pro that you already have but whenever the script gets executed the program will not allow any other actions to be performed during that time. That is one main reason why a lot of users have a dedicated version of FM Pro running (a "robot") that does nothing but receive requests from RemoteScripter and execute the associated script.

If you are getting this to work then you have the plugin in the correct place on both the IWP (Web Publishing) machine and the FM Pro machine as they both use the plugin. The plugin on the IWP machine triggers the script on the FM Pro machine (the web publishing installation directory). The plugin on the FM Pro machine (same as IWP or separate) listens for and respond to the trigger. This would be installed in the FM Pro plugin directory. If you are using IWP and a FM Pro "robot" on the same machine you'll need the plugin installed in both locations.

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi Brent,

after a longer break I am now back on the Remote.Scripter-business.

I am quite a beginner in the matter of web-development, firewalls and all that, although I am doing filemaker-programing since more than 15 years.

That is only to inform you why I have to ask all these questions.

I have a 2-machine-installation of filemaker server advanced, in addition an RDP-Server where all the Filemaker-Clients are working on, accessing the Filemaker Server internally.

Let´s say Filemaker Server is machine FMS and Web-Publishing is on machine WP and Filemaker-Clients are on Machine RDP.

For security-reasons, neither machine FMS nor machine RDP can see machine WP because WP is public and accessible by everyone while FMS and RDP are behind a firewall and only accessible by computers inside the internal network / VPN.

What I need to do is I want the public Web-Publishing-user to be able to press a button and in the end he can download a PDF.

If I install the Filemaker Pro on the RDP-machine, the Plugins starts nicely and also does in IWP, but if I press the button I receive the error 27 saying, “connection timed out / connect”. I assume that is because the WebPublishingEngine cannot forward the request to the RDP-Server behind the firewall where the Filemaker-robot is located – right?

If I install the Filemaker Pro on the Web-Publishing-Engine I cannot open the Host which is the FMS behind the firewall.

So what can I do now without getting trouble with the security-admins?

It does sound like you are having an issue with the Web Publishing Engine connecting to the RDP Server (where it sounds like the FM Pro "robot" is running) which is behind a firewall. In order for RemoteScripter to work you will have to ensure a connection between these machines on the specified port can be made. Otherwise they will not be able to communicate. You can test this by trying to telnet from the WP machine to the RDP machine using the specified port. Also, you may need to set up port forwarding on the router if these machines are not on the same LAN.

This topic is 4265 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.