Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Stacked Column Example?

Wickerman

This topic is 3870 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to learn charting and finding it a lot harder than I hoped.

Could anyone post an example of a simple "Stacked Column" chart? I'm thinking of something like say you have a database of Car Sales where each record is 1 car sold. Field 1 is Salesman (Joe, Sue, Fred . . .) -- lets put that on the X-axis. Field 2 is Car Maker (Ford, Toyota, BMW).

So I'm wanting a stacked column chart so we can see each Salesman's total sales represented as a column composed of the numbers of cars by each Maker.

I've been driving myself nuts sorting on the two fields and trying a quick chart and sub-summary report parts and I just can't see my way there.

If someone could provide an example I think I could learn by studying it, but it would help to be told what the sort order needs to be. -- it doesn't have to be the exact example I described.

Is there no FMP support file that includes a straightforward example of the various chart types?

:-/

I feel like I'm so close here, but just can't see something. I gave up trying to 'Quick Chart' the solution, so I've built a sub-summary report that displays the relevant data okay, but still no stacked chart. My actual categories are Resource (either Archives or Collecitons) and then Patron Group. I'v placed Resource in the first Sub-Summary Part (sorting by Resource) and the PatronGroup in a second Sub-Summary, sorted by that field. In the Chart, I've picked a "Stacked" style chart, with Resource on X-axis and "PatronGroup Count" on the Y. I stuck it on a Leading Grand Summary Part.

The data in the sub-summary parts displays appropriately, and the chart is the right idea, but . . . no stacks. It's just giving me the bulk count of Patrons in the two Resource categories. -- all I need is those two data columns to be sub-divided into the Patron Groups and I'm golden. Here's a picture of my result, and my Chart Inspector.

What's missing? I'm close to tears over this as a deadline is looming.

post-91156-0-19284200-1339966697_thumb.j

post-91156-0-76540300-1339966705_thumb.j

Okay -- here's a simple database with the two relevant fields in the Car Salesman example. I did a "Quick CHart" by sorting on the two fields and then picking the appropriate option from the table view menu. I'm getting a chart that shows each salespersons total sold, but not 'stacked' by Car maker.

What I'm trying to do is have each of those columns "banded" by Car Maker, so the chart shows how many of each Maker is represented in each salesperson total.

Stacked.fmp12.zip

Hey guys could I get a read on whether this question is tougher to answer than expected, and somebody's working on it, or it's in the wrong section, or it's beneath contempt, or otherwise inappropriate in some way?

I know it's inappropriate to start multiple threads on the same subject, and I don't suppose I necessarily have a right to have all my questions answered, but I don't want to waste everybody's time whining or begging here . . . but I'm not sure where else to go or what sort of appeal to make.

Ah -- that explains it! Fortunately, I was able to attend an FMP training conference yesterday at MIT and I got the skinny on my situation. In short, it ain't as easy as you'd think. While it *seems* as though the sub-summary data should be displayable as a stacked chart, it just ain't so.

I need to be able to present the stacked series as separate field data. So for instance, if the Field values (that are getting stacked) are fixed in number (like a restricted Value List) I can create a calc field *for each value* that counts how many records hold that value and then each of those counts becomes a separate "Y Series" that I layer into a stacked chart.

Alternatively (and in cases where the field may hold a great many / freely entered values) I need to use the new "Execute SQL" script step (or is it a calc?) to build a return-delimited list of the data that the charting engine can handle. Something like that.

So, the charts are a little less magical than I thought, but I'm relieved to have a path to a solution I can pursue.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Hi Wickerman, I've got the same problem with the stacked bar chart in filemake, I was reading your last message when you explain to create a calculation field but I'm not able to do it... Could you share your file (removing all data) so I can take a look at what you did? Would be awesome.. Thank you!

This topic is 3870 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.