Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Identify a PC in IWP

This topic is 4300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anybody tell me please if there is a way to identify a specific PC or client in IWP besides the user

Because in this case I want to grant permission to the database only in specific computers. and it cant be by ip since the ip changes all the time.

has to be something Unique on that pc client.

- Mac Address is it possible

- Computer Name is it possible

NEED HELP PLEASE !!!

thanks

Walter Noia

Specific computers? Why specific computer, why not by user?

Computer name is easy to hack, not a good thing to base security on.

It'd be relatively simple to control access by user: that's what FMP's record level access is for.

If the security is *really* important consider sing the FMP client instead of IWP.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vaughan, Hi Everybody

Let me try to explain since i developed a dashboard in IWP that connect to filemaker server everyday

and it that starts up By it self everymorning in more then 20 Users for the company

Each user has two monitors one with the dashboard of the information with IWP, and the other monitor for the everyday work

Because I didnt want to make the user drag the window everyday after startup to the left monitor

and after that they had to type user name and password (to many steps for some workers) :sad:

Since the information is read only in IWP (Not a very big security problem here I Think so)

What I did is each computer starts i have a shortcut of Url page on windows xp startup, and because Window Xp remembers the last monitor

it was closed it goes straight two monitor 2 in the left.and the url takes the user to the server, without no user intervention.

The only thing Im missing is how can I pass the Login Step for the user everyday

and how on my side I can identify to show what is the correct dashnoard for that user

or what is the right dashboard for that computer

I hope i explain it correctly

thanks

Walter

Hi Vaughan, Hi Everybody

Let me try to explain since i developed a dashboard in IWP that connect to filemaker server everyday

and it that starts up By it self everymorning in more then 20 Users for the company

Each user has two monitors one with the dashboard of the information with IWP, and the other monitor for the everyday work

Because I didnt want to make the user drag the window everyday after startup to the left monitor

and after that they had to type user name and password (to many steps for some workers) :sad:

Since the information is read only in IWP (Not a very big security problem here I Think so)

What I did is each computer starts i have a shortcut of Url page on windows xp startup, and because Window Xp remembers the last monitor

it was closed it goes straight two monitor 2 in the left.and the url takes the user to the server, without no user intervention.

The only thing Im missing is how can I pass the Login Step for the user everyday

and how on my side I can identify to show what is the correct dashnoard for that user

or what is the right dashboard for that computer

I hope i explain it correctly

thanks

Walter

Help Please

Hi Walter

There is a product called WinAutomation which allows you to record a sequence of actions such as keystrokes, mouse movements etc and replay them again to repeat the action. Using this, you can automate almost any set of actions to start applications make them do things automatically.

I would set up a WinAutomation sequence which extracted the Windows profile of the currently logged in user. Use this profile to look up a table of user login information and find the appropriate Filemaker login credentials. Then open the users's browser, launch the IWP login page, enter the user credentials and then click the login key. You can probably move the IWP window to the other monitor too, if the environment is consistent.

The professional version of WinAutomation allows you to generate stand-alone apps which you can call when the user starts up.

WinAutomation is here: http://www.winautomation.com

We've used it for several jobs relating to Filemaker management and it seems pretty robust.

HTH

Brian

This topic is 4300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.