Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Any clues what's going on with FM12?

This topic is 4207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After such a long wait (25 months) and so much secrecy about it, FM 12 was finally out!

Being a newcomer to FM 11, I reasoned: "if there are so many developers behind FMI products, it must be worth getting FM 12"...

Big mistake!

I keep reading this and other FM based forums as well as FMI forum. And what I see is FM developers despair versus FMI indolence.

Since I know that FMI entrenched official policy is lack of feedback and no care for their customers concerns, it makes no sense to ask them.

So here is my question, based on FMI past track record will they be able to come out with a bug free FM 12 that doesn't destroy all the good capabilities of Fm11? And if so, is silly to expect FM 12 v.02 before this year end?

I know that I have valid alternatives to FMI products but I just want to know if FM 12 is just a big mistake or it is the way FMI does business.

Thanks

P.D. No change in my profile since I am an FM 11 user

• Like 1

Hi natursalus,

I would prefer if FMI tested a bit more thoroughly before releasing but 12 is a good product. I expect an updater (a guess) within a few months at which time I would feel good recommending the move upward.

Is 12 worth it? Absolutely. :^)

Well knowing FMI's track history I wouldn't hold my breath for "bug free FM 12". That being said they are aware of some the major issues such as the slow layout behaviors with conditional formats, lists, etc.

12 came out in early April and they usually release a patch after 3 months so I would expect one around next month. Then probably another one in 3 more. Then as they usually do, they will move onto the next version.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Since the released of FM 12 I have been reading this and other forums in search for some clues about when FM 12 will be a workable alternative to FM 11.

FM 12 v2 was released on time, but there are still too many unresolved issues introduced by FMI itself...

FM veterans keep saying: "wait till v3 is released..."

I keep reading FM users and developpers feedback on the so many still unresolved issues.

Some of them even openly proclaim that they are considering valid alternatives to FMI products.

To all this: No reaction from FMI. No compromise.

Any chance that somebody from this forum could share some good news?

something like: FM 12 v3 won't be worse than FM 11 v3 and v4;

something like: FMI cares about their customers;

something like: we will not have to wait to FM 13 for a reliable product?

natursalus

FM veterans keep saying: "wait till v3 is released..."

That is not what the 'veterans' have been saying on all the posts I've been reading. I have only read one or two posts in the last two months which suggests they are seeking alternate options and that always happens when the playing field is changed. You want some good news? FM gets better all the time ... sometimes it is two steps forward and one back (and it is never enough) but they are always moving forward.

If they do not take this risky step into another structure, they will never improve. The fact that it is a bit shaky at first is to be expected. At least they bucked up and TOOK the step - a great risk. 12 is a great product and there are so many great ideas in it that I can't sleep at night.

I have been getting a solution ready to sell for about six months, developed in 8, then brought up to 11. With some of the horror stories about 12 I really didn't to make that jump, but there is no way I can sell a brand new product based on 11, so I took the plunge. So far for me 12 has been very good. I have found some bugs but nothing killer.

The right steps in the right direction are welcome as long as the new features don't downgrade good old product features.

Mistakes are understandable when the developer involved its customers in a comprehensive beta testing program.

Delays are acceptable when customer feedback is matched with reassuring developer feedback.

FMI website forum is crowded with FM 12 customers complaints and worries. To illustrate this point, this is a request to FMI made yesterday by a FM 12 customer

@TSGal:

this is just another moment where I can spoil about 10hours(!) of programming-works due to some insuffiencies of FM12.

I beg on you: Have this forwarded to yours developers as urgent!!!

This is just catastrophic!

The link: http://forums.filema...tart=31&stop=40

What is really frightening is the chance that some reported and important problems of FM 12 keep unresolved.

And unless FM 12 customers vocalize their concerns that possibility will become true.

natursalus

• 2 months later...

In spite of all well intentioned reassuring words, I am still very concerned about FMI future.

Filemaker Pro Advanced v03 has just been released but things don't look good.

Previously reported relevant problems hasn't been fixed.

Consumers express their concerns but FMI is still unresponsive.

Recent examples taken from FM corporate website:

posted August 24, 2012 by OS Permalink

Hi Jim,

Thanks, I did see your suggestion, although as David mentions, it's not a practical solution for us, unfortunately.

I have to say, the FM Support guy on the telephone today really could not be bothered. His tone was so uninterested. As David said, it was as if he'd heard this complaint a million times before.

I even asked about getting a refund on our £10,000 investment in the software because of their lack of solution. He went so far as to say that was a possibility. If they can afford to refund £10k like that rather than at least TRYING to the problem, I'm guessing that they are doing so well with their software as-is that their commitment to support doesn't have to improve.

Link: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/36534c396d?page=2

Another one:

posted 7:32 PM by CodeCruncher Permalink

The biggest problem with this issue is that you can not create a thin grey frame around a portal which is an important design element of a polished modern interface. The whole point of FileMaker 12 is to make the creation of a modern interface easier.

It is not only the visual aspect that make thick black lines unattractive. Thick black lines are distracting to the eyes and make it harder for the end user to process the information that is shown in the portal.

The initial findings that this issue seems to be limited to the classic theme offers no comfort. If you want to create a truly extraordinary interface you can not rely on one of FileMaker new themes but you will have to create your design elements from scratch in the classic theme.

FMI answer:

posted 7:35 PM by TSwildcat Permalink

LR Steve & All:

Thank you for your reports.

This issue was previously reported to Development and Testing. I will attach all of your comments to the original report.

TSwildcat

FileMaker Inc.

I struggle to understand how a issue that was reported less than 24 hours shows negligence on behalf of FMI.

As a developer I understand that I will run into issues like this when updates come out. The only way I can avoid that is to build applications in a different language that does not get updated unless I do so.

• Like 1

This topic is 4207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.