Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Same Database, Different number of record on Different PC’s??

trinet

This topic is 8365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am having several problems:

Info: Database shared on a Novell 3.12 server, PC’s on Windows 95/98.

1. Why is it that I have different number of record of the same database on different PC’s? Why is it that when a client captures or updates a record the information is not available to the other PC’s but yet on the PC that created the record the information is there?

2. Why is it that we have to recover the database all the time??

3. Our last problem was that we had on the database over 340 records and between the morning and this afternoon we are mysteriously down to 240...:?

Any help will be appreciated...!!

quote:

Originally posted by trinet:

I am having several problems:

Info: Database shared on a Novell 3.12 server, PC’s on Windows 95/98.

1. Why is it that I have different number of record of the same database on different PC’s? Why is it that when a client captures or updates a record the information is not available to the other PC’s but yet on the PC that created the record the information is there?

2. Why is it that we have to recover the database all the time??

3. Our last problem was that we had on the database over 340 records and between the morning and this afternoon we are mysteriously down to 240...:?

Any help will be appreciated...!!

Hello Trinet,

i think your are working in an improper situation and have confused ideas about FM does work in a shared environment.

• First of all, NetWare is not the ideal env. to host Fm dbs: neither FileMaker Inc. nor Novell do provide the proper NLM (NetWare Loadable Modules) to make FM full working on this network.

• from different clients you can have different scopes on the same db depending on the finding actions performed on each client: when you earn a 'find' action on a client it returns a 'found set' (a partial scope on the db) that's retained until you perform a 'find all' action (CTRL-J).

Then each client has its own scope on the same DB.

• if you have calculated fields or auto entry fields this circumstance don't allows other clients to gain the scope over these records (just created) until the creator releases them.

FM implements a 'passive locking' technique: if you are modifying a record other clients don't have the possibility to modify it: they only can inspect this record.

If you experience somewhat different i think you are falling in a 'deadlock' that consists in a DB engineering 'bug' (see what explained three rows up).

• why do you recover DB all the time ??

Hope this helps.

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: JPaul ]

This topic is 8365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.