Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Clients cannot "see" tcp/ip shared files on WIN2000 server

rasta

This topic is 8149 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

Please help .... I have a client that has upgraded to a WIN 2000 small business server (clients running WIN95/98). Server also used for routing and file sharing.

When I open my fmp solution on the server, the clients do not "see" the hosted files shared via tcp/ip (have tried typing the ip address).

But when I open a shared file on a client pc, the others can "see" it, and so can the server.

Please help if you have any answers.

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Steven Bennett:

Hi all,

Please help .... I have a client that has upgraded to a WIN 2000 small business server (clients running WIN95/98). Server also used for routing and file sharing.

When I open my fmp solution on the server, the clients do not "see" the hosted files shared via tcp/ip (have tried typing the ip address).

But when I open a shared file on a client pc, the others can "see" it, and so can the server.

Please help if you have any answers.

Thanks!

Well, first you don't want to run other services and you don't want to run file sharing on the server where you're running FileMaker Server. At least I presume you're running FileMaker Server? Your question isn't clear on that point.

Do you know for a fact:

TCP/IP is installed on all machines

FileMaker Server was installed with root level privileges

FileMaker Pro files are set to multi-user and not multi-user hidden

The files are in the same directory as FileMaker Server

Guests and server are all on the same subnet.

Answers to these questions can help to narrow the probable cause of the problem you describe.

Old Advance Man

• 4 weeks later...

I have run into this same type of problem in the W2K enviroment and have discovered that on the machines that were running as a host and/or a server there was also a second network card accessing the internet (or another server). When the second card (internet) was disabled and the client relaunched the FM app, the hosted files suddenly appeared. It would seem that that one of the two IP address became dominate and would not allow access to the FM ip address.

This topic is 8149 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.