Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker client not responding

Trevor

This topic is 8132 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

We have been running Filemaker Pro Server 3.0Bv4 on a Mac System B1-7.5.3 for several years now (thus the Mac OS version). We run a variety of clients, Mac and Win versions 3 - 4.1 all connecting via TCP/IP.

All has been working without any problems until the middle of last week. Since then, some Win clients (FM 4.0v3 and FM 4.1v3 on NT4 and W2000) have experienced problems opening files from the server. The named file opens as normal, but any related files that are needed take several seconds to open up. I looked at the Task Manager and noticed that Filemaker is running OK when the main database is opening, but as soon as it comes to opening the related dabase, Filemaker is 'not responding'for several seconds after which it comes back on-line and completes the task. Other Win clients with identical setup as far as I can see are not experienceing this problem.

The coincidence of several clients exhibiting the same behaviour at the same time is too great to ignore. I have disabled the virus protection in case there was a conflict with an update. Other than that, I can't think of any change that could have affected several PCs at the same time. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this.

Thanks, Trevor

Dept Of Modern Languages

The Nottingham Trent University

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Trevor Pull ]

Thanks

We would love to upgrade to FM5.5 but don't have a budget for that I'm afraid. frown.gif" border="0

I am trying to find out from our MIS people if any changes on the network have been put in place. I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer as it probably means that we will have to live with the result!

Trevor

Thanks

I tried deleting the temp files but no joy. Reading previous responses about temp file cleanup indictaed that this solved a startup delay. In my case, start up time is fine, loading of main database is fine. The delay only occurs when related files open up as hidden files.

Trevor

I've asked the network people here if they can identify any changes - there are no changes that I can identify. I've eliminated the anti-virus software. There were no changes to the server or any of the clients. I'm really stumped with this one.

Trevor

Sounds to me like you already know the answer and are in denial. Win2k is the most likely culprit in this situation, assuming of course that this is a configuration issue.

You are running a combination of old software and new OS, which is usually a recipie for disaster.

Your company can obviously afford both your technical time as well as the upgrades to the Windows OS, but is unwilling to spend the money on upgrading the database software?

I would highly suggest the upgrading of both the server to a newer system (you did not mention the specs, but running 7.5.3 I can assume that it is an old PowerPC system at best) or at the very least a newer OS version (9.2.2 is very stable, even 8.6 is quite good) and upgrade to Filemaker 5.5 on both Server and Client systems.

Now of course something that you should consider is that there might actually be some kind of hardware problem on the server itself. It is an old machine and may need some reconditioning. Reformating of the drive, reinstallation of OS and software, cleanup of extensions, deletion of temp files, rebooting, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not in denial, honest. blush.gif I know that the versions of both the server and the software are 'out-of-date', but this combination has given excellent service and had continued to do so until the 17th January. The fact is that what was working well suddenly developed a problem for some clients using PCs where the day before the same clients had no problems. Nothing had changed on any of the client PCs or on the server.

I have quizzed our network people about possible network conditions that may have had an effect. Unfortunately, I have not had a reply from them as yet. The problem has since disappeared and I can only conclude that the problem was network based.

I am not convinced about your prognosis on the mixture of old software and new OS in this instance. I have found Filemaker to be a very robust application and it has not given me any problems previously.

For interest, I work in a UK university which is wedded to Microsoft software. The management would prefer that I run Access, the cost of which is covered by a site licence. This department has a long investment in Filemaker development and is therefore reluctant to transfer to Access, but does not have a budget that will cover the upgrade to FM5 yet. I will be delighted when that is possible, but in the meantime we carry on with what we have.

Trevor

This topic is 8132 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.