Multiple delivery addresses for 1 client

This topic is 4284 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Everybody,

I am new to FM and I am stuck with this relationship. Can someone help me please?

1 client has multiple delivery addresses.

1 Address = 1 client

I want to show a list limited to addresses for 1 client ID selected.

1 TO : CLIENTS

Key: Client ID

1 TO: CLIENT ADDRESS

Client ID

Address ID (key)

Examples:

CLIENT ABC

DELIVERY ID : 1,3,5

CLIENT FGE

DELIVER ID : 7,3

Thanks a lot guys! :laugh:

I didn't follow your question. If a client has multiple delivery addresses, then you need a relationship between the Client table and the Addresses table by ClientID.

If you are also creating an order, I would imagine that it has only one address for ShipTo. That can be address selected from those associated with the Client. Is that the question -- how to limit the ShipTo choices to those of the Order's Client?

Perhaps you can restate the question.

So it's possible that multiple clients can have the same delivery address?

Or are there multiple shipments and some might be to the same address?

If so you need to normalise the address table (that is, make sure there are no duplicates).

I want a list to display only delivery addresses limited to one client.

If I understand your request correctly, you want a button on the Clients layout to perform the Go to Related Record[] script step, with the 'Show only related records (match current record only)' options checked.

So it's possible that multiple clients can have the same delivery address?

Careful with that.

@benderFR - which Client? The client on the Order? You haven't told us what entities you have. Do you have Clients, Addresses, Orders, OrderLineItems?

to provide an proof of evidence of what went, where, when, you really should have duplicate address fields and their content into the actual document that controls the activity such as the Shipping Document or Invoice.

if you rely on the relationship chain to an address table and you edit or delete these records it will ruin years of data on past invoices/orders/etc. effectively invalidating any forensic proof.

Any mechanism using relationships would be for data entry and user selection for assignment to said document / entity.

Stephen, excellent point.

I was waiting to get a reply from the OP before mentioning the fact that address info is temporal and a good place to use an auto-enter or lookup.

Simply sounds like he needs a conditional value list or filtered popup-selector.

This topic is 4284 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.