mirrorsync versus (vs.) gozync

This topic is 3927 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So what's are the differences, pros/cons between mirrorsync and gozync? Are they 100% competitors or are there some differences in how they're supposed to be use/problem they're trying to solve?

Thanks,

Anthony

Some background:

I have a situation where users will be using an iPad/FileMaker Go 12 solution for data collection that would be synced with FMS 12 running on OS X server.

The use-case is such that the solution users will often be in remote areas with no cellular coverage, so working directly with the remote host is not viable.

Since I'd prefer not to "roll-my-own" sync, I did some research and it seems like the two go-to solutions are mirrorsync from 360Works and gozync from seedcode. So looking for some feedback to people who've used either/both.

I believe the primary differences ( and you can check with 360 Works' subforum here about their products ) is that:

GoZync is designed to work with two different versions of a database, one server, and one mobile, where a subset of records gets pulled into the mobile version.

GoZync requires a user to approve each item that gets synched from the mobile version to the served

GoZync allows you to download a new copy of your mobile file to your mobile device at will

If you change the schema of a MirrorSync db, you've got to go through the set up process again, I think that's not necessarily trie for GoZync

I've looked at both products, but haven't used either one so take this with a grain of salt.

Ocean - thanks. I'd looked at FMGoSync but it seems a tad neglected. I hadn't seen SyncMobile, but it appears to be in beta.

David - Thanks for the summary. It jibes with the videos I've watched for both.

Anyone else have something to contribute? I'd love to hear it.

Thank you!

Anthony

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Anthony,

I wonder what solution you ended up using, if any. I have a solution similar what you describe above. Users in remote locations with iPads adding new records that need to be synced with FM Server once get an internet connection.

Just curious to know what you chose and how the deployment has gone.

Thanks,

Matt.

Hey Matt,

I decided to roll my own sync. It was a more work then I expected, but so far it's working well.

I realize that's not the solution for everybody as writing your own sync is not a lightweight task. The benefit for me was twofold. No 3rd party licensing costs and no "black box" when it comes to syncing.

I've also done syncing before in other programming languages so I knew what I was getting into, mostly. :) So I wasn't facing design challenges (as in how the syncing works in the abstract) but I did face FileMaker challenges (as in FileMaker is finicky and IMHO makes a lot of sacrifices in language features for making scripting more accessible to the layman). Examples would be the fact that SQL is view only, that you can only pass a single parameter to a script, that there's no native nth field functionality, that there's no native hashing, no native UTC support. These can all be worked around, I did so, but it was a lot of extra work.

If I had to pick one of the 3rd party solutions, I'd probably pick GoZync because it's 100% FileMaker; I believe no plugins or external software are used by GoZync.

MirrorSync would be a very close 2nd because 360Works seems really on top of their game. It's its reliance on Java that's off putting to me. Not that anything is wrong with Java per se, but it makes me nervous for longer term support, especially on OS X which is my target. Of course, FileMaker Server itself uses java, so…

HTH,

Anthony

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

... I did face FileMaker challenges ... Examples would be ...  that you can only pass a single parameter to a script ....

Hi Anthony -

I know I'm late to this conversation. But I thought I would mention that there are techniques to pass multiple parameters to a script, in case you hadn't become aware of that already. 

For instance:

http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/passing-multiple-parameters-to-scripts-advanced/ or 

http://filemakerstandards.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=557462

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1

This topic is 3927 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.