Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker quit unexpectedly error message

This topic is 4285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I have a very large database that I have built over the past 5 years or so that I am running on a MacPro. I using the Lion OS/X 10.7.4 operating system. I originally built the database on fmpa10 and so am running the database on fmpa10. I tried upgrading to fmpa11 and running the database on fmpa11 but the database kept hanging when I would use the pause/resume script step within a script. So I switched back to fmpa10 and the problem went away. My database program gets run every weekday and takes about 10 hours to complete. By and large the program has run without problem however about a month ago the database started crashing and I would get a message saying Filemaker Quit Unexpectedly. Then upon opening the file an internal consistency check would be run the result of which would be a message saying that the file was damaged and to attempt a recover. The recover command also came back saying the file was unrecoverable. Fortunately I make a backup copy of my database every day and have always been able to continue my data collection efforts using my backup. But the problem keeps recurring. I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing this problem or if anybody has any suggestions on how to get these unexpected quit errors to stop. Any thoughts / help would be appreciated. Sincerely, George

Sounds like you have not gone far enough in your backups to get to an uncorrupted file.

Research filemaker corruption recovery methods and strategies on this forum and on filemaker.com and you'll find a wealth of information on the subject.

In a nutshell...

Use the recover functionality only to recover data in order to restore from a KNOWN UNCORRUPTED file or rebuild the file from scratch.

Do not copy or import anything but data from the damaged file!!!

Most importantly find out the cause of the damage (most likley improper file closure) and figure out what system fixes make sense for your business in order to prevent the root cause of the damage.

This topic is 4285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.