Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Scribe: Reading from a written Excel file

Recommended Posts

I'm having problems reading data back from a file I have just written to with Scribe.

I load a file from a container.

Write to the fields with Scribe.

Save it to another container.

I then (have another button that ) queries this new file for some totals.

It returns empty values.

Though If I save the file to the desktop, open it and when I close it, it asks me to save it (though I make no changes), so I do.

I then put it back in the container and I am able to get the totals with Scribe.

Is it because it isn't closing/saving the file correctly?

Any suggestions why this is?

Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we are in correspondence via email Andrew but for the benefit of others I'll summarize the issue here.

The problem here is with writing fields to an Excel file and then attempting to get calculated cells dependent on these newly written cells prior to opening the file in Excel. When Scribe writes values to the cells it does not currently cause any calculations in other related cells to fire. Excel causes this to fire automatically upon opening/saving the document (depending on settings). It would be a fairly complicated feature to build this into Scribe and there are no plans currently to do so.

The best workaround to this currently is to write an AppleScript (Mac) to automate the open/save/close of the file.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.