Copying parent record and associated child records

This topic is 4265 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I am using a template adapted from the starter solutions (Event Managerment) on FMP 11. I need to copy an event and its guests (the users call them participants). The script is working fine for this purpose; however, I need to also copy the Participant Type for each guest.

The script uses a global field to collect the contact ID's, event contact ID's and the Participant Types. Then it creates a new event record and uses a utility layout to create the new records.

In order to move a blank into the value that's been used, I do this:

Set Field [g_ParticipantType; Substitute (g_ParticipantType; Right (g_ParticipantType; 1); "")]

This is where the problem is occurring. I have tried both the RightWords and the Right function. The same thing happens each time.

After each contact ID has been used to create the new record, I am using the same logic to insert the "M" or "P" participant type and it does great at collecting the values, but the line of script that moves a blank into the global field as each value is used insists on removing 2 values instead of 1. This is the exact logic that I'm using to copy the contact IDs and they are working fine.

I have been working on this for days and searched the forum for a similar problem, but can't find it. My goal was to get this working for participants with a Participant Type and then try to think of a way to deal with blank values, which are possible, but I can't get beyond the 'simple' issue.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Hello EOS,

Thank you for your prompt reponse. I've downloaded your file and I am unable to make the script work--I get messages that the file is not modifiable. Also, I don't have access to the script. Is it possible to allow me access?

Thank you so much for doing this work!

Debbie

Hi Deb,

the file is not password-protected, or rather, it uses the default "Admin" account with a blank password.

This sounds more like a problem with your Windows file system permissions, meaning you have to select the file in the Explorer and give yourself write access. (I'm a Mac user, so I can't give you any specifics.)

Oliver

Dear Oliver,

Brilliant work! You attacked it completely differently and it's much more simple. And I love the extra features of event copy status and the addition of "copy" to the event description.

I do have multiple users, however. Are you thinking I need to add Allow User Abort Off? Or an error capture series of scripts?

BTW, I was able to open the file only after saving it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Deb

I do have multiple users, however. Are you thinking I need to add Allow User Abort Off? Or an error capture series of scripts?

You're welcome. Glad you like it.

Allow User Abort [Off] sounds like a good idea; you don't want your users marooned on an unknown layout and with only half the job done (I know from experience …).

As for error capture: the basic havoc prevention is the check on existing join records. It still might make sense to throw in some Open Record / Get ( Last error ) combos and, if necessary, roll back the entire process and tell the user to try again later.

This topic is 4265 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.