Export Record Script Step

This topic is 4254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just can not get Export Records to well Export any records. I am guessing I have something wrong with the way I am trying to write the export path. I am working on setting this up to run from a button press. The button gets the current visible record and then constrains the found set to just that single record. I am hoping to make this work two ways, one button to save to users desktop and second way to say to a share point on a server.

I am running the clients on a mac that will be running the script via a button. I have two servers one windows server 2003. Second is a mac server 10.6.8

I would include a sample of what I have been using as an output path but I have tried 30 different ways.

Does anyone know the correct output path string format or if I might be doing something else wrong?

Sort of irritating, but I did just have luck getting to my local users Desktop and Documents folder. So I think I am on the right path. I noticed the examples at the bottom of export record script step window before. And I just saw video of the get function Get(DesktopPath)

So I needed the correct mac version(found in the script step configure window - examples) I need the correct document path, and I needed to add a file name.

I have been messing with this thing on and off for like two weeks. I post a question and find the answer two minutes later.

Sorry, hope this might help someone else down the road...

I have not had any experience trying to use variables in FMP. I do use other programming languages so I understand the concepts. I don't where I can use variables in FMP scripting.

I am currently using the export record script step to output an xml file to my desktop. I am hoping however that I can have the name of the file output be populated from a value of a field in the record that is being exported. I have a script that isolates one record in a found set, so I will not have a problem with grabbing an incorrect records value.

I see in the export record configuration dialog there is example output paths and line that says "Variable file path $Variable"

So I would expect this variable can be used in any area of my script including the name of the file being exported?

If I can use a variable how or rather where would I set that variable?

I did not consider them related. I figured for someone searching later they would be better as two topics. My apologies.

So I am still having a little trouble. I can get it exported to my desktop. I am having trouble exporting to either of my servers, mac or windows.

I am using terminal to drag a folder into so it gives me a path but it does not seem to be right. Any ideas how I can get the correct path from a server paths for windows and mac?

I am trying specifically to output to a windows server. My local mac is connected to said server.

When I look in finder I hit ctrl up-arrow until I am as high as I can go. I see "ExampleJobContainer" as a share point. The name of the server is bgserver02.

I have tried all these combinations. The last line works. Does it look like I am doing something stupid with the path structure?

filewin://ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://Volumes/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/Volumes/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://QC4/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/QC4/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://QC4/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/QC4/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://QC4/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/QC4/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://QC4/Volumes/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/QC4/Volumes/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://bgserver02/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/bgserver02/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://bgserver02/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/bgserver02/Volumes/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin://Volumes/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filewin:/Volumes/bgserver02/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

filemac:/QC4/Users/gzim/Desktop/$xmlFileName

I don't know why it works this way. I have been fighting again for like 2 hours, I post a question and two minutes later I find the answers.

This worked

file:/ExampleJobContainer/$xmlFileName

Does anyone know the difference between the prefixes...

filewin:

file:

??

1. Read the relevant help:

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/create_db.8.32.html#1030283

2. Whenever you find yourself hesitating about the required path, try inserting a file located in the target directory into a container field as reference only. Then examine the paths stored in the container field.

This topic is 4254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.