searching database sloooooooooowly

This topic is 4252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

ok, i'm not exactly a noob when it comes to filemaker, but this one is throwing me a curve ball. i've got a fairly massive database. roughly 12k records and quite a few fields. i'm switching the entire database over from MS Access to Filemaker. it's be a year long project to get this thing ready before i roll it out to the company. now, i'm very very close to finishing and so i decided to load all of the actual data in from access and everything worked perfectly. but here's the downside....when i search, it takes (very literally) about 1 and a half minutes to come up with a result. now, ms access doesn't take but a split second to search the same data. so, am i doing something wrong? is there some setting i need to check? i've got the main searched fields indexed....but that's about all i know to do. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. because as of right now, if i can't get this problem fixed....1 year of work is going down the drain.

oh, i should probably mention, i'm running this database from a fmp server

The number of records isn't that large. However, I believe some of this slowness is caused by FileMaker creating its indexes. This is something that FileMaker does when you first perform a find (and later when it is needed) .

Other things may be coming into play, but that is the most common.

Lee

yes, there are related tables in there, but it looks like the actual lag is right when you start the search. basically, you go into find mode, and select one of the text fields and start typing. nothing shows up as you type and it takes about a minute before the characters actually show up on screen, then you are able to preform the search and from the point (navigating around and going to different layouts) it's relatively fast. so, it's just when you start the find process. now, i'm not sure what that means, but surely....that's not 'acceptable', right?

ok, i have cleared all indexes and it seems to have gotten a lot better. it's now down to 13 seconds wait time. still completely unacceptable, but definitely a huge difference.

The number of records isn't that large. However, I believe some of this slowness is caused by FileMaker creating its indexes. This is something that FileMaker does when you first perform a find (and later when it is needed) .

Other things may be coming into play, but that is the most common.

Lee

so, is there a fix for this? i've already cleared all of the indexes in the main table. should i clear them in all related tables too?

D'OH! i think i found the culprit. it was the autocomplete using existing values. that was definitely a convenient feature, but it takes waaaaaay too long. i'm guessing nobody knows of a way to fix that issue huh? i turned it off for that field and it's an instant search now, so that was definitely the problem.

This topic is 4252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.