Scripted search requires manual input

This topic is 4242 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am sure there is some simple thing I have overlooked.

I have a scripted find which works as I want up to the final step at which point the following screen appears:

So I have to manually click "perform find".

I want/need this script to run to conclusion without my input - what am I missing?

At the end of your script:

Pause/Resume Script [ Indefinitely ]

Perform Find/Replace [ ]

1. This is the second pause in the script.

2. You should be using Perform Find[] instead of Perform Find/Replace[]. Two completely different things.

BTW, in Set Field[] you can specify the field to set, so it's not necessary to go to the field first.

I am also puzzled why you show a custom dialog, but ignore the user's choice.

Thats weird - the printed version of the scrip is different to the one on my computer......but the perform find step did the trick: thanks very much for point out a pretty fundamental oversight on my part - could be time for a break!

Is there a reason why the screen grab in the first post doesn't show the 'continue' button which would give an indication that the script is paused?

I have a similar problem although my script doesn't have any pauses:

Enter Find Mode []

Insert text (Hazard No); (gHazard No)

New Record/Request

The script isn't finished but I think it should be working so far. gHazard No is selected from a drop down list with a script trigger (on object modify) that runs the above script. The field and the script trigger are enabled in find mode, but the script allows me to choose the first value from the drop down list, goes into find mode and inserts gHazard No, creates the new find request which is correct. I then want to select the next value from the drop down list but it's inactive and I'm not sure why. Any ideas please?

why the screen grab in the first post doesn't show the 'continue' button

I am guessing it's because the script has run out. It's hard to be sure, since apparently we haven't seen the real script.

I then want to select the next value from the drop down list but it's inactive and I'm not sure why.

I think you are talking about a global field? Globals are not enterable in Find mode. Try using a checkbox field to select all your choices in advance, then have the script create a request for each selected item and populate it accordingly.

I think you are talking about a global field? Globals are not enterable in Find mode. Try using a checkbox field to select all your choices in advance, then have the script create a request for each selected item and populate it accordingly.

gHazard No is indeed a global field. The script I was building was to create find requests and enter values from the global field dropdown and then constrain the found set.

Can a checkbox field as you suggest be based on a global field or would it be the same issue?

Yes, if you make your choices while still in Browse mode - otherwise it will be the same issue.

Lastly, would I be able to use a script trigger to run the script from the checkbox field? I'm thinking not because how would it know when all the checkbox choices have been made and when to run the script.

BTW, thanks for your help with this.

how would it know when all the checkbox choices have been made

That's true - you would probably want to put a button next to the field. You face the same problem with the approach you have started, though. Eventually, the user needs to say 'when' after creating the last request.

That's true - you would probably want to put a button next to the field. You face the same problem with the approach you have started, though. Eventually, the user needs to say 'when' after creating the last request.

You're quite right.......ha ha. As I'm learning I'm trying to combine aesthetics with functionality and managing without buttons where possible.

This topic is 4242 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.