Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker 12 Becomes Unresponsive

James Gill

This topic is 3860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After converting an existing FM11 file to FM12, some of my users are experiencing a strange issue that causes their Filemaker to become completely unresponsive to mouse clicks or keyboard interaction. The FM Menus can still be dropped down but selecting an option does nothing. The only way to fix the issue is to Force Quit Filemaker Pro and reopen the program.

I've looked through the known bugs for FM12 but I cannot find anything that matches this issue. Has anybody else experienced this?

James Gill,

I too am experiencing this same issue on the Mac. I have the most recent versions, and it happens in both FileMaker and FileMaker Advanced. Note: I also connect to the same FileMaker Server hosted files via Windows using both FileMaker and FileMaker Advanced and the non-responsiveness does not happen on the Windows box. Wow, that is one of the first times in my life that I have said something good about Windows over a Mac! I need to go to my happy place!

Best to all from Prague,

Dean

This is occurring in both 12 v.1 and 12 v.2

Hi James,

Are your files being served too? If so, lets put this question in one of the server topics.

Has anyone reported this to FileMaker Inc?

• Newbies

Yes.

This has already been reported serveral times to FMI. It’s also reported on the FM developer forum.

So far, no response.

I too have a (large) database that crashes when opening a new window from a script.

The only way out is to save a copy and kill the process (it’s on a Mac, standalone). I’m just very lucky to have an Advanced version.

Since FMI is not really making progress in this I decided to rebuild the database.

The database is converted from 11 to 12, and the problem was not solved in v2.

Hi Gerard, and welcome to the Forums.

I don't read TechNet regularly, as I spend a lot of time participating and moderating on this Forums. However, James did state.

I've looked through the known bugs for FM12 but I cannot find anything that matches this issue. Has anybody else experienced this?

And, after Dino posted his reply, my question to both of them was, "Has anyone reported this to FileMaker Inc?," which was meant as to suggest that they should report it. In hindsight, I probably should have just said it that way.

Could you please post a link to the threads at TechNet for us.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

More updates: This is an ongoing issue and I've found that whenever this happens for me, I can find the related Console Message:

10/16/12 10:15:16 AM FileMaker Pro[44022] *** Assertion failure in -[FMXApplicationMenu itemAtIndex:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1038.36/Menus.subproj/NSMenu.m:779

10/16/12 10:15:16 AM FileMaker Pro[44022] Invalid parameter not satisfying: (index >= 0) && (index < [_itemArray count])

However this error message does not appear for my users...

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi all,

Also experiencing this issue.  New to FMForum so trying not to duplicate threads by asking the same question elsewhere.  Are there any resoutions to this yet?  My problem in particular is this:

Upon clicking a button that triggers a new window in which the user can search the Accounts portion of the database, the script will sometimes "stall" and then not open the new window.  It also will not allow the main window to be closed, and all dropdown options from the top toolbar are 'greyed out'.  Can't even "quit".  Force Quit is the only option...

I know Filemaker isn't freezing because I have a 'dumby' database open in the background that still functions when this stall happens.

We use our database as a CRM and so this creates a lot of issues for the sales team...

If I could, I'd save this fmp12 database as a fmp10 and call it a day, but I don't see that kind of option.

FMP Advanced 12 on Mac running 10.6.8.  Using the FMStartingPoint "Free Database for Small Businesses" template.

• Newbies

Hi all.  I'm back.  Again, new to the forum so please forgive multiple notes.  Just updated to 12.0v3.  Script "stall" issue seems to be solved.  Now on to the next: we're now experiencing repeated "Unexpectedly Quit" crashes.  I see another thread for that but wanted to mention my issue here seems to be resolved.  If there's any info re: "Unexpectedly Quit" crashes, it's warmly welcomed.  Thank you again.

• 8 months later...
  • Newbies

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to FM.

Excuse me if this is not the place to write my issues with FM. The only reason I am writing here is because users at the company I work for are complaining that FM crashes multiple times a day and I thought this thread could provide some help.

We are running FM Server 12.0v3 on a Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit machine and the clients are mostly Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, some are Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and others are XP Pro (obviously, 32-bit). I find that FM crashes mostly on the Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machines. The error message users receive when this happens is related to APPCRASH and nothing more. Some users experience this multiple times a day others once a day and others not at all.

Is or are there any incompatibility issues between FM12v3 and Windows 7 64-bit?

Is there anything that can be done to prevent these crashes at all?

Any answer will be appreciated.

Thank you,

This topic is 3860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.