Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Learning How to Set This Up

This topic is 4232 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Good day. I work as a tech writer for a mid-sized manufacturing company.

I write and maintain our manufacturing procedures in an intranet, using .ASP files. These web pages are not using any ASP functionality for now (for some reason) but since all of the links are as "ASP", I think I might as well go with that engine.

We have been using Filemaker Pro (11) for recording various aspects of the manufacturing process, and I want to be able to access (input into) the database through our intranet web files. Many of our PCs have been upgraded to Windows 7, but many haven’t done so yet.

I have been using Microsoft Expression Web lately, but I have Dreamweaver CS5 as well.

I am in the process of prowling this resource here, as well as others online, but many of the remarks that I see are out of date. I am not too educated about FMP or web technologies, and I am looking for a place to start.

I’ve been told that accessing FMP through ODBC is slow, and that I should set up for XML. I’m not sure how much traffic there is on the FMP database, but it’s not too massive.

I’ve seen some third-party solutions such FMStudio, Lasso Professional and fmDotNet. Do I really need any of these?

The main thing I need to know is what to ask my IT people. I’m sure that our database lives on a different server than our intranet. Is there anything I should watch out for, as I start to get this set up?

Thanks!

Well, ASP is not one of the usual web technologies connecting to FileMaker - generally tends to be php, as it has inbuilt support for that.

That said: http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/creating-asp-pages-using-filemaker.html

And you would need to use the ODBC connector for ASP, not the XML engine

This topic is 4232 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.