Server Maintenance This Week. ×

fixed date calculation

tbeidler

This topic is 8677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First off, calculation may not be the answer but this is what I'm trying to do.

I would like to set a field ("approved date" field) with the date when certain criteria are met in another field ("approval" field). I've created an "approval" field which has been formatted with a checkbox value list. Once all of the boxes have been checked, I would like to add the date that it occured in my "approved date" field.

I'm assuming this should be simple but I'm stumped. I've only managed to create a calculation that adds todays date in "approval date" but it always shows the current date, not a fixed date when the criteria was met.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your difficulty is that you cannot really do a calculation which is time specific and hope to hold on to the origional calculated value.

That is why you will really have to sort this out using a script. The best way to ensure that the script is completed is to attach it to a button which brings the user to the next screen/report etc. You could even devise some forward or back buttons which would run the script and also bring the user to another record.

Alternativly leave the checkbox on the current layout and make it a botton to go to another layout where the checkbox is which allows editing and have a button to return the user to the original layout which also runs the set approved date script.

This is a big failing of FileMaker, there should be a calculation based on tab to the next record or mouseout etc..

Hope this helps, if you need help with the script let me know.

------------------

Stephen Lawler

Dublin, Ireland

[email protected]

This topic is 8677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.