Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Display Summary Problems

This topic is 8675 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by GarrettD78:

I have two databases that I am trying to sum up. One has the summary field and in that table it works fine. But in the relational table where the report is, I simply put that summary into a sub-summary when sorted by a field. This does work on the first page of the report. I get the correct numbers on everything, but on the next pages I loose this field. The computer quits printing this field. What do I do?

You cannot use summary fields on related fields or summary fields from related files. This is just not possible.

In general reports need to be in the same file as the data that they are summarizing.

I am sure that there is a way to make you report work and may simply involve moving the location of the report.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

• Newbies

I have two databases that I am trying to sum up. One has the summary field and in that table it works fine. But in the relational table where the report is, I simply put that summary into a sub-summary when sorted by a field. This does work on the first page of the report. I get the correct numbers on everything, but on the next pages I loose this field. The computer quits printing this field. What do I do?

• Newbies

so, in other words, if i have a need to publish summarized data to the Web i need to begin by getting rid of FileMaker? is that your message?

the company i work for develops most of their databases in Lotus Notes (ugh). i have managed to avoid Notes and stay with FileMaker up to this point, but if FileMaker is incapable of publishing summarized data in a Web interface i need to quit wasting my time with it and begin learning to develop in Notes.

• Newbies

I was able to get some of the numbers by using a GetSummary function in one table and then adding that into the report. I sometimes get the right number and sometimes the number is wrong and other times the number doesn't even appear. If I look at the table where the info exist the GetSummary function is working correctly. Why won't FM just move that number to the report.

quote:

Originally posted by wayking:

so, in other words, if i have a need to publish summarized data to the Web i need to begin by getting rid of FileMaker? is that your message?

the company i work for develops most of their databases in Lotus Notes (ugh). i have managed to avoid Notes and stay with FileMaker up to this point, but if FileMaker is incapable of publishing summarized data in a Web interface i need to quit wasting my time with it and begin learning to develop in Notes.

Huh?!?! I am not even sure of what you are refering to?

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

quote:

Originally posted by GarrettD78:

I was able to get some of the numbers by using a GetSummary function in one table and then adding that into the report. I sometimes get the right number and sometimes the number is wrong and other times the number doesn't even appear. If I look at the table where the info exist the GetSummary function is working correctly. Why won't FM just move that number to the report.

Because the Summary functions work on the records within each individual FILE. If the report does not exist within the same FILE then the summary functions will not work.

This is not a Filemaker specific issue and you will find this is the same with all databases.

There are two ways around this: restructure where and how you are reporting (i.e. where the report layout is) or invest in one of the high end reporting applications which can summarize data from multiple systems into a single report.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer http://www.database-resources.com

[This message has been edited by captkurt (edited August 03, 2000).]

This topic is 8675 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.