Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upload problems after moving SC system to live server

This topic is 4177 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I developed a SuperContainer solution on a test server where SC ran in the standalone mode. All worked great. It's time to launch it on a live, production server, which has SC installed using the Tomcat method. The system is not behaving the same, nor the way I would expect. 

Normally, SuperContainer places uploaded files into a Files folder within the SC directory. On the new, production server I am able to upload with both the SC plugin and the upload button in the SC web viewer. But for me the uploaded files are going into folders the top level of the SC directory. These folders, created by SC, are at the same level as Files.

To initially create the Files folder, I uploaded a Files folder with a bunch of subfolders and documents using FTP. Maybe that was a mistake? Maybe I should have let SC build that Files folder itself?

I also uploaded a thumbnails folder. Normally, there is an accompanying thumbnails folder, at the same level as Files, which stores multiple previews for each file at the size of any web viewer that has viewed the file. The files I'm uploading with SC don't have any accompanying thumbnails files; or at least I cannot see any thumbnail files.

I seeing related problems with the web viewer. If I set its base url to "http://www.aiare.info:8072/SuperContainer/Files/", SC will display files that are actually not in the Files folder; files that are in folders at the same level as Files. The pictures I uploaded using FTP show nothing in the web viewer, even though the URL is actually correct for them.

If I change the url for the web viewer to leave off the /Files/ folder, then the web viewer shows an error, for both files uploaded with SC and files uploaded with FTP.

I tried changing the base used by the plugin, too. We're supposed to call a function SCSetBaseURL in the format SCSetBaseURL("http://server.mycompany.com:8020/SuperContainer/Files"). That works. If I leave off /Files, it does not. This is the behavior I would expect. But SC does not put files into the Files folder.

Accompanying screenshot shows folder structure. Folders named "62" and Admin__Program_Management were created by SC and I think should be inside Files. Below them are the Files and thumbnails folders I uploaded with FTP. Programs folder created by SC.

Any ideas out there?

Gary

post-63350-0-32783600-1353118317_thumb.j

Gary,

There is a web.xml file that comes with SuperContainer (located in the /SuperContainer folder). About 1/4th of the way down the web.xml file you will notice a handful of XML elements labeled:

<windowsFilesPath>
<vistaFilesPath>
<macintoshFilesPath>

Depending on the machine in which you have deployed SuperContainer to run with Tomcat, you will need to edit the appropriate XML element so that it is pointing to the files directory where your uploaded SuperContainer files are being stored (i.e.  /Users/Shared/SuperContainer/Files)

If this is only displaying "/Users/Shared/SuperContainer", then SuperContainer server will only be looking for files in that directory -- and not the Files directory where all of your files are in fact located. If I were to guess, this may be the reason as to why you're not seeing some of your uploaded files.

To initially create the Files folder, I uploaded a Files folder with a bunch of subfolders and documents using FTP. Maybe that was a mistake? Maybe I should have let SC build that Files folder itself?

I also uploaded a thumbnails folder. Normally, there is an accompanying thumbnails folder, at the same level as Files, which stores multiple previews for each file at the size of any web viewer that has viewed the file. The files I'm uploading with SC don't have any accompanying thumbnails files; or at least I cannot see any thumbnail files.

It's perfectly fine to upload via FTP or some other method. So long as your web.xml file is set up correctly and the default SuperContainer folder structure exists (ie. one file per directory) then it should be just fine. Also, SuperContainer will create the thumbnails directory by default and on the fly -- so there's no reason for this particular folder to be copied over -- however, there's no hurt in it either.

In summary, I think fixing the web.xml will fix all other problems... such as the 62 and  Admin__Program_Management files being out of place.

Signed,

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I would call this problem "solved," but my SC plugin is now working on the live server. I just used a normal url in SCSetBaseURL, ending in /Files, despite the fact that my new host does not have a "Files" folder in the SuperContainer path. The "supercontainer" folder acts like the Files folder. There is a "thumbnails" folder at the same level as supercontainer folder, instead of inside the sc folder. 

Is this normal for a Tomcat setup? I have always used the standalone on my servers, where the structure is a SC folder, with Files and thumbnails folders inside SC folder.

This topic is 4177 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.