Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Client hardware identification

Matthew F

This topic is 3997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to allow mobile clients to "register" their devices to allow access to a solution hosted on Filemaker Server.  'Get(SystemNICaddress)' seems to return the address of the server, not the client. Any suggestions for how to uniquely identify clients, or to store a local registration number? I'm looking for a convenient and reliable system, not high security. 

Also, the key word in the definition of Get(PersistentID) is representing

I wonder what that means. I wish FMI would provide better documentation; as it is now, the only way to find out which parts of the hardware are "represented" in the ID is to take them out and see if the result has changed (assuming only hardware affects the result - we can't even be sure of that).

What it means is that the Get(PersistentID) result is not a UUID from something on the hardware itself.  It's a hashed result. It still returns the same value for each query to the same machine.  IIRC, they made mention of this at the 2010 DevCon in San Diego.

Steven

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also wouldn't mind knowing more about this function as well. Wouldn't it have to be at least partially hardware based? If not, would wiping a FMP install and re-installing result in a different PersistentID?

This topic is 3997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.