Creating Subset of Value List

bkhackett

This topic is 4183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a table of over 10,000 health codes that I'd like the user to select from but I'd like to limit the list to the most relevant ones.  I've added a field in the table called "relevant" and I'd like to display all values with this field set to "Yes"  When the user selects one of the codes it should populate a portal row.  I know how to do it easily in MSAccess but I've tried using a multi-predicate selection in FMP12 without any success.  Have any ideas?

Brian

I'm fairly new to this, but I am currently doing something similar so I might have a solution.

I would suggest doing the following: Create a table and populate one field with your list of codes. Then, create a number field, "Relevant." Go through your list, and for each one you want to be on the "relevant" list, put a 1 in the relevant column. Relate this table to others as necessary

Next, create a filter script that will filter out records without a "1" in the relevant field. In your data entry layout, tie a dropdown list to that list of codes. When prompted to chose values, select use field and select the values. Finally, next to your list, put a button tied to your filter script. When pressed, it will sort out non-relevant codes. This will allow you to have both long and short lists.

I think that would work, but I'm a novice.

I have a table of over 10,000 health codes that I'd like the user to select from but I'd like to limit the list to the most relevant ones.  I've added a field in the table called "relevant" and I'd like to display all values with this field set to "Yes" 

A simple way to achieve this is to add a calculation field to the Codes table =

Case ( Relevant = "Yes" ; HealthCode )

then define your value list to use values from this calculation field.

Note: if you make Relevant a Number field, using 1 for True and 0 or empty for False, you can simplify the calculation to =

Case ( Relevant ; HealthCode )

I think that would work, but I'm a novice.

Why not try it out yourself, before suggesting it to others?

This topic is 4183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.