Web Ports 80 and 443

This topic is 4128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know MirrorSync uses the Web Publishing Engine.  Just confirming that it requires web ports 80 and 443 are open.  When I initially set up the server there was no need for the Web Publishing Engine or the Web Server so I only installed the Database Server.

Also, my client uses this server for a few other things (QuickBooks and a SQL Server system which is being replaced by a FileMaker system).  Therefore, the IT person is reluctant to open the the web ports (80 and 443).  When I log onto http://localhost/MirrorSync I receive a 404 error.  Is this because the web ports are not open?

(BTW, opening and closing the ports involves another person and this server is in production, so I'm not able to quickly/easily open those ports and test).

Thanks.

Hello Daniel,

MirrorSync requires port 80 for transmitting most data. If you solution is synchronizing container fields, it will also require port 5003 to be open, as it opens the hosted file as a guest of FileMaker Server. 

You will need to install and set up the web publishing engine to be able to navigate to localhost/MirrorSync, as the address requires the WPE to be running. You may need to restart the Web Publishing Engine after installation of MirrorSync. Can you access any other webpages the server hosts?  Please also note the address requires the correct capitalization- localhost/mirrorsync will not work, where localhost/MirrorSync will. 

Could you tell me a bit more about what is installed on the server machine-- Apache, IIS, Sharepoint? Do you have SSL / security certs? It would be helpful to get a little more information on the environment to help troubleshoot the issue. I am also available to do a screen sharing session to help you resolve the issue. 

Thank you!

Sarah Mulligan

360Works

Thanks Sarah.

A screenshare may be helpful.  But before we do that, can you tell me if it is possible to use an alternate web port?  Our IT person is cautious about opening port 80 do to the potential security risks.  We'll go that route if that is the only way to go but we'd like to explore other options first such as alternate web ports.

The IT person has also asked about doing the sync via VPN since the offline users will need internet access anyway to upload/download/sync anyway.  Is it possible to use MirrorSync via VPN?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel - the short answer is that you change the ports to anything you want, and the VPN will work fine. I've added a more detailed answer to our product documentation here:

http://docs.360works.com/index.php/MirrorSync#Q:_What_ports_are_required_for_MirrorSync.3F_Can_I_change_them.3F

This topic is 4128 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.