Contextual? value lists

GavGav

This topic is 4152 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

HI, I have been going around in circles with a DB I am building for my small buisness.

It is a simple service request / report DB so we can keep track of what was done to where and when as well as printing a report for the client.

It is a flat file as I have not defined any relationships.

I can't quite get them to work and they do my head in but I know the answer is in them!

We have CLIENTS that have multiple LOCATIONS which have multiple ROOMS/VENUES

I have made the above fields, in the service request layout, a drop down list based on a value list of the field with the option to add "other".

This works OK as it will standardise the entries.

But, the value list for LOCATIONS and ROOMS/VENUES will get too large as it will have all of the CLIENTS info in them.

I would like the LOCATIONS to be relevant to the CLIENT

and ROOMS/VENUES relevant to the LOCATIONS.

Down the track we hope to engage a developer to add a whole bunch of features / start again, but for now the above is all I need to get it started.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Gav 

Flat file is not good. You need a separate table for Clients, another for Locations, possibly another for Rooms/Venues, and a table for Jobs.

• Newbies
Flat file is not good. You need a separate table for Clients, another for Locations, possibly another for Rooms/Venues, and a table for Jobs.

OK, thanks.

As I don't have the time / head space to do this myself how, do I go about finding someone who can for a fee?

Don't want a full blown solution yet, just help getting this simple one going and in a standard format that can be built on.

Thanks

What Vaughan describes is fundamental to building a relational database. In my humble opinion you'd be much better off learning this concept yourself rather than hiring someone. I say this because you mention working on it later on. Without understanding table relationships you will encounter the same problems when you attempt to embellish on something created by someone else. You'll not likely be any farther ahead and you will be out of pocket to boot. Most people participating in this forum have been where you are right now. A little study and lateral thinking is all you need to get started.

My two cents

This topic is 4152 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.