Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Extracting numbers and putting them in same name fields

This topic is 4132 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings

I have a series of records which have a text field called numbers for only 4 numbers in the range from 1 to 20.

I have a text field for each number 1-20

I would like to find a text function that would put each records 4 numbers into theirmatching name field. Ex. The number 8 would need to go to the field named eight

The number 17 would go to the field called seventeen etc.

Each record contains only 4 numbers in the field mumber

I need to make those 4 numbers go to the right field (matching name) in each record.

I need help in making a calculation to do this

Thanks

Each record contains only 4 numbers in the field mumber

How exactly are the 4 numbers separated?

I would like to find a text function that would put each records 4 numbers into theirmatching name field. Ex. The number 8 would need to go to the field named eight

The number 17 would go to the field called seventeen etc.

Are you sure about this? It doesn't sound like a good arrangement to have. What do these numbers represent in real life?

The only good reason I have is I made a grid like appearance with the fields and have text input color coded. My aim is to quickly visualize the placement of the numbers for the application I am trying to build at work. 

My other good reason is to find out how to send data that way to a field with a matching name.

I made a grid like appearance with the fields and have text input color coded. My aim is to quickly visualize the placement of the numbers for the application I am trying to build at work.

That would be quite easy to do with a single repeating calculation field and some conditional formatting - see the attached example. Note that I have used a return-separated list which is native to Filemaker.

Grid.fp7.zip

My other good reason is to find out how to send data that way to a field with a matching name.

Have a look at the Set Field By Name [] script step - though this doesn't seem like a good opportunity to use it.

BTW Comment Again Thanks

I have an unrelated question... In the grid example you sent me, Is there a  way to change the color of the background fill to say a red? That would be ideal  I thought it was a theme but I guess not. Maybe the purple is a default color. Just thought I would try to find out. Thanks again.

Hi Comment
I wasn't sure you would see this so I am sending you a message. I was so helped by you but I thought while I was planning my project I would ask you a related question to your file "grid" Is it possible that when you randomize those numbers that they could come into the grid one after another in an animated way. I would like this to look more entertaining and if I could do that I would like to learn how. Thanks I am new here and I am not sure how to get a response back from you. I guess I look in the forum where I was getting help from you. I didn't know I could send a message until I clicked on your name.

In layout mode select the field, and choose Format-->Conditional... in the menu bar and select whatever color you want.

Thanks a whole bunch that was the way to solve it. Much appreciated

This topic is 4132 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.