Date Calculations, modifyable?

Bioboy

This topic is 8596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Folks,

I have a tech support database that contains a Follow Up Date field. A small script searches for any follow-ups that need to be done on that day when a tech opens the database in the morning. The Follow Up Date field is a calc. based on the Date Created field. It looks like:

Follow Up Date =

If (Follow Up Required = "Yes", Date Created + 7, "N/A")

The result is set to "Date" and it works great.

But now the techs have asked that I make that field modifyable, so that they can change it if they can't get a hold of the client on that day, or the client says "Call me back next week." or whatever.

For the life of me, I can't make this field both Auto-enter, and modifyable. I tried setting the field result to "Text" and then using the same calc, but it does not work. Any suggestions?

Frank

quote:

Originally posted by Bioboy:

Hey Folks,

I have a tech support database that contains a Follow Up Date field. A small script searches for any follow-ups that need to be done on that day when a tech opens the database in the morning. The Follow Up Date field is a calc. based on the Date Created field. It looks like:

Follow Up Date =

If (Follow Up Required = "Yes", Date Created + 7, "N/A")

The result is set to "Date" and it works great.

But now the techs have asked that I make that field modifyable, so that they can change it if they can't get a hold of the client on that day, or the client says "Call me back next week." or whatever.

For the life of me, I can't make this field both Auto-enter, and modifyable. I tried setting the field result to "Text" and then using the same calc, but it does not work. Any suggestions?/B]

You currently have a "Calculation" field.

Make this an "Auto-entered Calculation", which is a normal Date field with the calculation in the Auto-Enter options. This will set the date initially, but allow the techs to modify it, as it is simply a date field.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

Argh...

I tried that kurt, and while it works, if the Follow Up Required field is set to "No" I get a question mark (for invalid data) in the Follow Up Date Field. I am using this calculation:

Follow Up Date =

If(Follow Up Required = "Yes", Date Modified + 7,"N/A")

I know this is a small issue but now it's driving me batty!

F.

quote:

Originally posted by Bioboy:

Argh...

I tried that kurt, and while it works, if the Follow Up Required field is set to "No" I get a question mark (for invalid data) in the Follow Up Date Field. I am using this calculation:

Follow Up Date =

If(Follow Up Required = "Yes", Date Modified + 7,"N/A")

You could either make the field a text field, or simply put "" rather than the "N/A" into the field.

The "" is nothing so is considered a valid date, but the "N/A" is not.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

Have one field for DateCreated. Another field for FollowupRequired. A new third field for FollowupDateEntry. The FollowupDate calculation would now be:

Case[FollowupRequired = "Yes",

If[isEmpty[FollowupDateEntry], DateCreated + 7, FollowupDateEntry],

""]

If a followup is not required, the date is set to "".

If a followup is needed, the date will be a week after DateCreated unless an entry is made in FollowupDateEntry, in which case that date will be used.

Make sure FollowupDateEntry is validated to check the entry is a correct date.

This topic is 8596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.