File Export Script

Wotan

This topic is 8588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to automate an export function via script steps.

After record are exported to Excel, an e-mail is dispatched telling users that the latest edition of the file is ready for review.

I can handle all this. The thing I can't do is take the next step and fully automate the process (I want this cycle to run once or twice a week without any human intervention).

I've encountered a problem: the script freezes when the file exports to an Excel directory because the filename already exists.

Should I go the DDE route (and have the script queue a command that goes to the Excel directory and deletes the previous file prior to running the script that generates the current one)?

Or is there some FM way of making the file name the product of a calculation - so that each week or so the script is renamed by the addition of an alphanumeric character (so that this week the file is myfile.slk and next week it is myfile1.slk)?

quote:

Originally posted by Chuck:

You should be able to manually do the export, save the file replacing the file in existance, and then open and close your script, replacing the export options.

FileMaker can't dynamically name files it exports. I've gotten around this on a Mac with AppleScript, so maybe there's a similar workaround on Windows.

WinBatch on the Windows platform works very similiar to Applescript and Quickkeys and can do the same kind of things.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

You should be able to manually do the export, save the file replacing the file in existance, and then open and close your script, replacing the export options.

FileMaker can't dynamically name files it exports. I've gotten around this on a Mac with AppleScript, so maybe there's a similar workaround on Windows.

Chuck

This topic is 8588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.