Lost in IF land, clueless

brynalan

This topic is 8499 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone!

I know this is simple, and I will castigate myself relentlessly when I see the answer (spent many hours last night (till 3am) trying to figure this out....it was more slippery than any Rubik's cube I've ever seen).

After an Ebay auction ends, I want to know the Final Value Fee. Simply, I want to type in the amount the item sold for, and have the Final Value Fee show up in a separate field.

On items that sell up to 24.99, the FV fee is simply 5 percent.

On items that sell from 25.00 to 1000.00, the FV fee is 5 % of the first 24.99 and 2.5 % of the amount over 24.99.

Or should I be using something other than IF?

Thanxxxx.

Mathematical genius not!

Use a "Case" statement instead. It works the same as an IF statement, but allows you to set more variables.

For exapmple:

Case(Field = 1, ValueA,

Field = 2, ValueB, etc...)

Hope that's helpful, if not then I too shall castigate myself relentlessly ;-)

Later :-)

• Newbies

Octerlieberscrabben!!!! That didn't seem to work either. Or rather, perhaps, I'm unable to make it work.

How would you set this up?!

The entry field name is "SOLD FOR".....if I type in 24.99 or less, a field named "FINAL VALUE FEE" should calculate 5%.

If I type in 25.00 to 1000.00, 'FINAL VALUE FEE' should calculate 5 % of the first 24.99, and add 2.5% of any amount 25.00 to 1000.00.

This has to be major karmic retribution for something......as soon as I think I'm zeroing in on a solution, it evaporates. Or produces illogical gibberish. I'm even beginning to doubt my computer.

Thanx for any possible help !!!!!!!

If I'm understanding what you are asking, then this calculation should work...

Case(Sold For <= 24.99, Sold For * .05,

Sold For >= 25.00 and Sold For <= 1000.00, ((24.99 * .05) + (Sold For - 24.99) * .025), 0)

I hope this solves your problems, if not I'll try to be more clear (and perhaps more helpful;-).

Later,

Paul :-)

Alan-

I checked my formula on my computer & it seems to work fine for all of the variables you described.

Check the syntax in the field's calculation & make sure everything is where it should be. If it still doesn't work, copy & paste your calculation here (or email me if you'd like) & we'll see why it's not working.

Later,

Paul :-)

P.S. - By the way, it's Kazinsky & sometimes the cabin does sound like a good idea! (not those mail-bombs though;-)

In fractional sales tax calculations, commission calculations, etc. make sure you write them in the form:

Round(SalePrice * SalesTaxRate, 2)

to calculate amounts to the nearest cent.

If you don't, the amounts may display correctly (on invoice line items, for instance) BUT the fractional amounts are still there and will cause errors in totals. For example

24.934 displays as 24.93

5.024 displays as 5.02

16.373 displays as 16.37

Total is 46.33 NOT 46.32. If each line is rounded, the result wil be correct.

-bd

• Newbies

One giant leap for Alan !!!!! Look out Ebay! Mil Gracias Paul !!

"Syntax" wasn't the problem, exactly, but it was a magic keyword that got me to questioning other details like......FIELD FORMATS (duh).

At some point in my mad quest to try anything, absolutely anything, I changed 'SOLD FOR' from number to text field, and didn't change it back (understand, these mathematical adventures took place as late as 3-5 AM, in a place called neverland).

Now I can get some sleep (that is, until the next enigma asserts itself, hopefully not for a while).

I can't thank you enough verbally, but I can much more appropriately reward you with one of my ebay gadgets, a light pen....email me at [email protected] and I'll send you one straightaway via Priority!

And thanxx to the Live Oak Administrator for the rounding info, I'll plug that in tonite.

Yayyy !

Alan

This topic is 8499 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.