Hosting a FileMaker Pro database

This topic is 8299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm designing a FileMaker Pro database that I'd like to put on the web using the enclosed Web Companion. Most web hosting sites that I've found prefer using Lasso 3.6.

Does this matter? Will I need to purchase Lasso? Does anyone know a good web hosting service that uses FM Pro Web Companion?

Thanks,

Kelly

quote:

Originally posted by kcrossley:

I'm designing a FileMaker Pro database that I'd like to put on the web using the enclosed Web Companion. Most web hosting sites that I've found prefer using Lasso 3.6.

Does this matter? Will I need to purchase Lasso? Does anyone know a good web hosting service that uses FM Pro Web Companion?

Thanks,

Kelly

kcrossely,

There are a number of Filemaker hosting sites out there. I personally prefer Digital Forest: http://www.forest.net

They are one of the oldest filemaker hosts out there, and they do host both Web Companion and Lasso sites. Hope this helps.

smile.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

Kelly -

We offer Filemaker hosting via both CDML and LDML. When using CDML, there are a few minor changes that need to be made to work properly with Lasso's CDML compatibility module, but they are trivial and we help you through them.

Have a look at our services at http://www.pointinspace.com

- John

quote:

Originally posted by John May - Point In Space:

Kelly -

We offer Filemaker hosting via both CDML and LDML. When using CDML, there are a few minor changes that need to be made to work properly with Lasso's CDML compatibility module, but they are trivial and we help you through them.

Have a look at our services at

- John

John May,

This sounds intesting. Could you give a brief outline as to what sort of changes are needed to get CDML to work in LDML compatibility mode? I would be greatly interested in gaining more knowledge in that area. Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by proton:

John May,

This sounds intesting. Could you give a brief outline as to what sort of changes are needed to get CDML to work in LDML compatibility mode? I would be greatly interested in gaining more knowledge in that area. Thanks in advance.

It's actually quite easy:

- First, any forms or links that use the FMPro action (eg: <form action="FMPro"> ) need to be changed to action.lasso instead (eg: <form action="action.lasso"> ). It's the biggest change needed - and can easily be done using find + replace in BBEdit or the likes.

- Secondly, there's a few CDML tags that don't quite function correctly with Lasso's CDML compatibility module. Off the top of my head, they include the [FMP-Valuelist] and [FMP-Link] tags. As there are direct replacements for these with LDML, it's simply a matter of implementing such. The nice thing is that Lasso includes a reference database listing the CDML tags and their LDML equivalents.

Additionally, one could also opt to convert their CDML code to LDML code in its entirety. Lasso includes some great plug-ins for BBEdit to do this, and Lasso Studio for GoLive and Dreamweaver also include the capability. My experience with these converters has been excellent.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, etc.

- John

quote:

Originally posted by John May - Point In Space:

It's actually quite easy:

- First, any forms or links that use the FMPro action (eg: <form action="FMPro"> ) need to be changed to action.lasso instead (eg: <form action="action.lasso"> ). It's the biggest change needed - and can easily be done using find + replace in BBEdit or the likes.

- Secondly, there's a few CDML tags that don't quite function correctly with Lasso's CDML compatibility module. Off the top of my head, they include the [FMP-Valuelist] and [FMP-Link] tags. As there are direct replacements for these with LDML, it's simply a matter of implementing such. The nice thing is that Lasso includes a reference database listing the CDML tags and their LDML equivalents.

Additionally, one could also opt to convert their CDML code to LDML code in its entirety. Lasso includes some great plug-ins for BBEdit to do this, and Lasso Studio for GoLive and Dreamweaver also include the capability. My experience with these converters has been excellent.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, etc.

- John

John,

Thanks man! Your answer was most informative. It sounds like an extremely easy conversion. That takes a load of my chest, I can tell you that!! laugh.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

Webdudes hosts via lasso 2.5 and 3.6 as well as cdml, fm 4 and fm 5 and multi-user --- or all at the same time for you masochists.

We also have proprietary software that checks hosting status of each file 24/7 and automatically recovers damaged databases. Rates are low and we're easy to reach. We even offer a couple of hours of free cdml - ldml conversion for new clients.

Jerry

WebDudes

This topic is 8299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.