Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dropshadows / box-shadows

This topic is 4002 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Anyone here use Dropshadows / box-shadows on their layouts?

From what I can tell the only performance impact they have is on the client's rendering,  i.e. some poor performance PCs may render a little slower if there are a ton of dropshadows, which honestly doesn't matter to me, just the networking/bandwidth issue (like pushing pictures with the layout).

Editing a custom theme CSS file helps with getting the right dropshadows.

Also, has anyone had any luck with making text shadows?  I've read that tex-shadow is ignored by FMP12.  

For now I've been stacking text objects with a slight offset to make a "fake" shadow but it's annoying when you have to edit label text or move them.  Are there other techniques?

You can make editing labels less of a hassle by using merge variables. When you want to change the label, you just change the value set to the variable. Since both your text objects are display the same merge variable, you don't have to edit the text of either of them.

Another way to quickly replicate multiple different stacked labels ...Create a new file and name the first field your label name ( for example Type ). Let FM put it on your layout with 'create label' checked. Do NOT move the label away from its field or you will break its 'auto-change ' feature. Format your label, copy/paste and stack the copies, off-set the alignment and once just right, group it.

Now, COPY that label and move the new copy away from the field to break its connection so it won't change when you create another one ) but leave the original label with the field. Need another label called Category? Change the field name and both stacked copies will change to Category ... copy it and set it aside and repeat. It is VERY fast and easy to just change field name. The secret is the label-to-field stickibility distance.

BTW, embossed isn't used much anymore. Attempts to create fake depth isn't fooled by retina display and new designs are dropping the concept, focusing more on flat look.

• Like 2

Stamping out a buch with labels is pretty clever and looks like it could save me some time in making them.  Thank you.

Hopefully things will work out in the future and we'll move our internal UI's to a web-intranet based one through PHP in a few years, which should grant me far more flexibility on the UI aspects with CSS3 & jquery and better support for retina displays. Until then I'm just using what I can in filemaker.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just a little sharing.

Actually, I was a bit disappointed when I realized that FM12 not longer provide object effect such as embossed, engraved and drop shadow. However, I didn't give up totally. I tired the various themes and objects.

Yes, I found that Tab control under the Classic Theme is embossed!

Pressed on!

I formatted rectangles with embossed, engraved and drop shadow in FM11.0v3 and convert it to FM12.0v3. Then, I used Format Painter to copy and paste to other objects. It works!

Regards,

Omega Goh

Speedy Scaleable Solutions

www.speediDB.com

[email protected]

This topic is 4002 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.