Importing from Runtime: Cross table look-up issue

This topic is 4073 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am working on a solution with a client and providing iterations to the client to trial and provide final tweaks/requests/recommendations.  The client has begun entering data into these Runtime Solutions and wants the data kept as I iterate.  I have used the import records function with only partial success.

My specific issue is when I import records which use cross table value list look-ups.  For instance, I have a standard invoice-like solution.  The invoice line items go to the product table, via a primary key-foriegn key relationship, and the user sees a pop-up menu and can choose a product by name (using a value list and showing the value from the second field).  This is all standard basic Filemaker stuff.  The issue is when I import those records, the invoice line items, I only get the foreign key (e.g. product) number.  When viewed in the Layout it shows the number and not the related name using the value list relationship.

Should I import data differently?  This similar situation is happening with other tables in the solution.  All with the same value list type of look-up field.

Are there scripts to write to obviate this?

Do I need to mask the fields?

Note: when I key directly into the main solution there are no issues with these fields.  The issue only arises when I import records. 

Would appreciate some insight.  Thanks.

Do you have auto-enter calcs or lookups on these fields?  If so, and you import with "auto-enter" checked, any old data would be overwritten.  The solution there would be to uncheck the "Perform auto-enter options while importing" option.

• Newbies

Yes, I have lookups in these fields that are 'cross-table'.  Ones that use the primary-foriegn keys and the 'show second field' concept to allow user to pull down and select a value from another table.  The issue is that when I import records only the primary-foreign key 'number' shows.  It doesn't do the look-up to the other table and show the text value like it would if you entered directly into the field.  I did choose "auto enter" option when I imported.

I actually said to uncheck that box.  I personally wouldn't use that while importing data unless you're very sure you don't need what might be overwritten.

Just for clarification, if you're using a value list to display the name (popup, I assume?), where are the lookup fields being used?  Can you be a bit more specific?  Table and field names would help.  Or even a copy of the file with the problem in it.

• Newbies

The application is really for someone providing medical treatments in a client management system type of format.  The practitioner sees clients at a consultation and prescribes medication.  They may prescribe multiple medications at one consult.  Medication names and descriptions are housed in the Pharmacy table.  Cross-table lookups are used in various places.  I use it in the Consult layout to pull in Client name or to pull in Medication names from the Pharmacy.  In all cases, as you've stated, I use Pop-ups and show the 'Second field only' when creating the Look-up/Value list.  Does this explain it?  Again, when I import records, all I see is the 'key' and not the Look-up/Value list.

The only reason the key would show and not the name is if the related record with the matching id doesn't exist.  Have you imported the related records as well?  Do they have some medication names that you don't have?  Does the foreign id exist in any of your tables?

This topic is 4073 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.