Server Maintenance This Week. ×

transferring secure external containers

This topic is 3391 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey all

I've moved my database onto a different computer, and the database contains secure, externally maintained containers. The transfer of the containers completely failed, and now my containers contain a "missing file" reference. The secure data is on the new computer, but FileMaker is failing to see it when I've updated the connection folders. Is there a way to fix this, or must I re-import the container data for each individual record?  :cry:

UPDATE: Ok, sigh of relief, I managed to restore the database on my original computer, and all data integrity is intact. So this brings me to this question:

What is the best way to transfer a database with secure, external containers to another computer?

If the amount of data is manageable; do a Save As Self Contained to suck in all the container data, then on the new computer switch back to external storage

Perfect. Thank you Wim!

I've tried doing a Save As > Self Contained and FM appears to just be saving a copy of the file as-is -- it's not extracting the container fields, and is still attempting to reference external sources. The external drive I'm attempting to save to has over a TB of space, and I know the FM file is nowhere near that big.

I'm bumping this thread.

Do I have to do something to the Container management before saving as self contained? I've tried multiple times and the file size is remaining the same as the original file, and in the containers it's giving me a missing reference when opening the new file.

• 1 year later...

Bump this.  Discussion warranted.  It seems to me that moving your FM solution to a new hardware system should not result in "transfer of containers completely failed", unless the move went terribly wrong.

I'd really like to know - is this a common occurance?  Am I making a huge mistake betting the future of my digital documents on FM container storage?

Perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly, but it seems that extra steps are involved (required) to transfer a FM solution to a new machine, if you want to include the container data.  Shouldn't that data move with the FM solution, without any extra steps involved? 

Ok - two additional issues warrant comment:

1)  my lack of understanding of "save as self-contained" - Wim - I thought you were indicating that a new function needed to be created within the solution as a work around.  If this works as advertised - done deal.

2) - the additional posts from madman made me think he ultimately did NOT get his desired results? Perhaps I over-read into the additional comments.

Having never worked with container files before - I don't have any experience with this issue. 

Having recently implemented container storage (at my suggestion and implementation) I have concerns that our digital files will some day become "orphaned", perhaps with a bad move to a new server, or during a version upgrade.

Our city got burned once before with a proprietary digital storage system, and we have two years worth of digital files that are for all practical maters, unreadable.

When we moved from FM11 to FM13 there was no save or save as involved.  We closed the files, made back up copies, opened each file with 13 to convert, and then uploaded to server from FM Advanced.  Seem to work very well.  My guess is I violated all kinds of standards of practice with this process, but it worked, and we made sure we had multiple redundancies if it all hit the fan. 

It was a rather nerve racking day, to tell the truth.  I'm in a bit over my head, but learning fast, and leaning heavily on the knowledge base here at FM Forums.  I'd be sunk without it!

Ok - two additional issues warrant comment:

1)  my lack of understanding of "save as self-contained" - Wim - I thought you were indicating that a new function needed to be created within the solution as a work around.  If this works as advertised - done deal.

2) - the additional posts from madman made me think he ultimately did NOT get his desired results? Perhaps I over-read into the additional comments.

The additional posts form madman were meaningless without corroboration.  Remember that this is a voluntary forum with people providing answers as they have time available and per their experience.

You seem to be headed to some critical functionality so you should test and not simply rely on anecdotal evidence here.

This topic is 3391 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.