Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Desperately need help with Filemaker Server 12

This topic is 3966 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I urgently need help with Filemaker server 12.

I run a medical practice and have attempted to install filemaker server 12 latest v4.

It installs Ok and then launches the start page but the admin console will not start. It displays a "Click here if console does not Start" but nothing happens.

I have the most current version of OSX and have updated Java. Have also tried deleting the Java cache but all to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can try? I am at my wits end

Joseph

The Java 6 installer downloads and installs Ok. Is that what you mean?

I also tried installing it on a MacMini server with a fresh install of Mountain Lion Server and it does exactly the same thing

Not what I meant.

The admin console is a java applet, which is delivered from the FMServer application, when you click 'Start Admin Console'

Typically it will download to your Safari downloads folder and then will autorun. However your OS setting may be restricted to prevent downloaded files from auto running.

The admin console can be run on the FMServer or any other computer. If you want to run it on your client machine then fire up Safari and enter:

http:<your-fmserver-ip>:16000

and the FMS Start page will load on your machine.

Once again, look in your (Safari) downloads folder.

Did you also read the release notes for FMS 12.4?

Software Update: FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Server 12 Advanced v4 Update | FileMaker

Specifically:

After you install FileMaker Server, the Deployment assistant may not open automatically. To manually open the Deployment assistant, double-click the admin_console_webstart.jnlp file or see FileMaker Server 12 Getting Started Guide for information on troubleshooting.

I do mean FMS 12.4 and I did see this post about the Deployment assistant may not opening automatically. However double-clicking the admin_console_webstart.jnlp file doesn't help because it just hangs.

Have also tried http:<your-fmserver-ip>:16000 and it doesn't work either. (Tried on two separate machines)

I realize that you have tried to open it from two computers but if you have updated your version of Java and that did not resolve the problem I would create a new user on your computer and see if you have any luck through a new identity. I had a similar problem a few months ago and this worked for me.

I would also take a look at a utility called MainMenu Pro, or something similar. I have been using this for a few weeks and it has helped to resolve annoying little issues with my computer like flushing out caches and other maintenance related issues. It's probably not doing anything that you cannot do manually yourself via the terminal but it's easy and straight forward to use.

If all that fails perhaps changing your fmforums avatar will help. :)

I have finally got somewhere. It turns out that I can launch the admin console if I access the server from a separate computer on the same network. The java applet is downloaded which I have to double click on to launch it.

The sam will not happen if I try this from the server on which FMS is running. That is to say, the Java applet does not download at all. At least I am operational but still puzzled why the Java applet won't download on the two servers that I have tried installing it on.

I have checked that I do not have some setting in my browser preference that is blocking it, and as far as I can tell I don't. This is a real headache as I am sure that others may have encountered the same problem.

If anyone has any other ideas to this puzzle that would be much appreciated.

Joseph

At least your up and running.

Earlier you said you had downloaded and installed Java 6. FMS 12.4 specifically ships with Java 7 as there is no support for Java 6 beyond OS X 10.6.8.

As you are now running OS X 10.8.x then is it possible you have over-written the Java installed with FMS. Secondly I have also seen several reports of Java 7v25 also causing problems with FMS - there are some very current ones on this forum.

This topic is 3966 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.