Filtered Value List not reflecting Deleted values

Wickerman

This topic is 3941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

NO NEED to address this query -- I figured it out!

------------------

Though I can't seem to find the original thread, I (successfully) learned last year sometime how to create a Value List for a field that offers a filtered subset of a larger Value list depending on a value in a different field.  The setting is a film archive, and each Record is a media object that with a field that specifies what kind of ELEMENT it is.  There are several dozen possible values for Element, so to make the drop-down list a manageable length, the available values are filtered down by another Field, TYPE.

So the user creates a record, specifies TYPE (Audio, Video, Paper, Photo)

. . . and then the ELEMENT drop-down displays only the value appropriate to that TYPE.

This was achieved by creating a table devoted to TYPES.  It has 4 records, one for each type.  There is a big checkbox field, 'Elements' displaying all the Values of the value List ELEMENTS_ALL, which simply includes every conceivable Element term for any and all Types, and we check off all the boxes that are Elements appropriate for each of the 4 Types. 

Then a second value list, ELEMENTS_FILTERED was defined based on the Elements Field in the TYPES table, which is connected to the Elements table via a one-to-many relationship in the graph, with 'Type' as the keyfield.

So, in the Media Record, when the user selects the TYPE, and clicks on the ELEMENTS field, which uses the second,  ELEMENTS_Filtered, only those related values in the checkbox list are displayed.

SO FAR SO GOOD!  This all works, and I hope I've described it acurately.

Back on the TYPES layout with the checkboxes, I also included a global field with a drop-down Value list displaying the Full ELEMENTS values, with the 'Edit . . . ' option checked so that the users can actually add, edit or remove the various Element values.  THis works fine -- when you edit the master Element list via that pop-up, you can see the checkbox list change accordingly, right there. Great!

FINALLY, the PROBLEM:

Back on the main Media Record layout, the filtered value List being displayed in the drop down menu *is* reflecting edits and *additions* made to the master value list . . . but it is continuing to display some values that have been DELETED from the list.  I am utterly baffled by how this could be happening.

I'm attaching three images. Originally there was a value for "Graphics" in the master list, but this was deleted in favor of a new value, 'Graphics/Animation'.

MasterValues.jpg shows the simple Elements_All custom values.

FilterChecklist.jpg shows the Elements checkbox in the TYPES table, based on the Elements_All list.

DropDownList.jpg shows the filtered list in action.

In other words, once a Value  has been checked for inclusion in the filtered list, it remains in the filtered list even after that value has been removed from the checkbox list altogether!

So -- HOW can it be that the value 'Graphics' is persisting in the third list WITHOUT being in the first two?

Hoping for a simple oversight or conceptual gap . . . ?

Albert

post-91156-0-71217700-1375455087_thumb.j

post-91156-0-10842300-1375455098_thumb.j

post-91156-0-01135100-1375455106_thumb.j

Oh sweet Lord.

As occasionally happens describing the problem loosens the mental logjam and I had the solution approximately 20 seconds after hitting 'post'.

You have to uncheck the 'Graphics' box before deleting the value, because the checkbox field is a data-entry device, not a display of all the data in that field.  A simple textbox of that field would still have 'Graphics' in it so of course it's still in the list.

Nevermind.  

:Whistle:

This topic is 3941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.