Layout with data from multiple tables

rudym88

This topic is 3902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys,

Hopping some can help and if what I am trying to do is even possible.

I have a database with three tables user, project, project notes.

I have one layout where I have a portal that lists all the projects (works fine), when I click on a project (using show related record) it show the details on the project as well as a list of notes of the project on another portal (works fine).

My problem comes in when I click on a note from the notes portal it gives me the following message:

" this operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result."

I'm attaching a sample database. the error is on the "projects" layout with a note under "project notes" is selected.

thanks

Any help is greatly appreciated

RudyM.  

test.zip

This is a common pitfall that trips even experienced developers from time to time (or maybe I'm only speaking for myself): When you define the GTRR script step, you can choose as the target layout only from layouts that are based on the same base table as the target TO – but if you forget to select the layout, then the default option "Current Layout“ is used, which more often than not is NOT based on the same TO – because the majority of GTRRs is not targeted at a self-join TO … Just one those many little annoyances …

Anyway – in your GTRR script step open the "Show records using layout” popup and choose a layout for Project Notes (of which I happen to know there is only one …)  ;)

btw, it is considered best practice to always use a full-fledged script for a button, even if it's only a one-liner; next thing you'll know is you want to do some more stuff after arriving at your target layout (Adjust Window, Sort Records, etc.), and then you'd need a script anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply and I am sorry, to be a pest. If I use "show record using layout" it take me to the new layout, and that is not what I want.

The idea is, once I select a note under "project Notes" the related note is displayed in the field "project notes" to the right of the "project Notes" portal. All in the same layout.

Thanks

Rudy

This topic is 3902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.