Need a Static IP address . . .

This topic is 3844 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to set up a Filemaker database for remote access and understand that to do this it's best to get a Static IP address.  Comcast won't provide them unless you have a business account -- can anyone recommend a third-party service that can provide me a reliable static IP at a reasonably low cost?

THanks for any pointers!

You've posted this in the "peer to peer hosting" forum, are you making the db available using FileMaker Server or with nothing but a copy of FMP?

If you can't get a static IP address you can go with a DNS service like this one: http://dyn.com/dns/

You will still have to set a static IP local IP address on the host itself and forward incoming traffic on port 5003 from your comcast router to the host machine.

I'm intending peer-to-peer -- or at least I think I'm getting the term right.   No Server. This is a case where 99% of the time I'll just be using the file on my own machine here at home, but I would like to occasionally allow a colleague (who has Filemaker on her laptop) to enter data via the 'Open Remote' feature from her end.   So I think I'm going about this the right way.

So, dyn.com cna get me an IP that will always get the remote user to my comcast router -- and I just have to figure out how to set a second static # that identifies my actual computer (as opposed to my wife's)?   I'll have to figure that out too -- I've got a Cisco modem from comcast that plugs into my Apple base station, which I assume is the router in question, so I assume that's in my network configuration panel someplace . . . 

Dyn.com will give you a DNS name that is static, not an IP address.  You will need to install a piece of software on your computer so that dyn.com will know what your comcast IP address is.  (Some routers allow for this functionality on the router so you don't need the software on your computer.)

• 2 weeks later...

Sound you like to get connected remote first...  that was exciting to me..

Same.. i need static to... but I learning with what I have right now.

don't wait 4 the static.. or install the DNS stuff.. come back to this

just do the portforward thing.. go test it, use it..

how often your IP changes is if you need to reboot..  

then you get a differnet IP -- 'what is my ip.com'

or other person can call and ask or email it to them

now.. get along.. learn DNS.com

This topic is 3844 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.