Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Added Mobile Ipads to FMS Advanced 12

This topic is 3806 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are going to deploy a mobile application in FMGO12 on the ipad with our FM12 Advanced Server. The question I have is how are you all doing it? Do I have them connect directly to our database? Do you all run a second instance of FMS just for external clients and sync? VPN only? 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / success stories you all have.

Thom

So to add what I have seen so far. 

1. Run hosted but must have an internet connection

2. Run a separate local database with some sync functionality when there is internet available

Still haven't seen do I have our local fmserver port forwarded so available on the outside? This scares me. So curious how it is handled in the real world.

Thanks

Thom

Whether you choose scenario 1 or 2, a filemaker server must be available from the outside.  You can open the FM port or you can use a VPN tunnel.

The VPN option is probably the easiest to implement with the least impact on your FM solution.

Wim,

Thanks for the input. With the VPN tunnel then no ports will need to be opened, thus protecting my data. Good thought. Also then since it will be a valid connection I can let it attach to the internal FM server and not worry near as much... Awesome!!! 

Wonder if any FM guru's have a small ipad app with syncing scripts built so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

Thom

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

I am struggling to get the email notifications working on FMSA12. I absolutely know that all the settings are correct and the email account is working fine on an email client program. Any clues as to where I am going wrong?

This topic is 3806 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.