Header contents not showing on certain layouts

apinrise

This topic is 3873 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a FMP file that loads various other FMP databases into a single file. In my header, I have a logo and a portal-based menu that links to layouts that load data from those individual files. For all other layouts (photographs, boxes, exhibitions..etc) everything works fine, but with Contacts, the header contents will not appear.

Similarly, the Photographs layout loads an image and title information from the Images database file. Again, the header contents will not load until I have entered the ID# from the Images database.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ryan,

It is hard to answer your question because your are not using the proper FM-speak. Perhaps if you post some screen shots we can help. Otherwise, I'm stuck trying to translate what you're saying.

I have a FMP file that loads various other FMP databases into a single file. In my header, I have a logo and a portal-based menu that links to layouts that load data from those individual files.

Perhaps means, I have a multi-file solution (and then I would ask, why? Data separation?).  One file serves as the Main Menu file and references the other files.

In my header, I have a logo and a portal-based menu that links to layouts that load data from those individual files.

Portal-based menu. Could you tell us what layout you're on and what table occurrence that layout uses? What is the relationship to the portal? When a user clicks a row in the portal, what happens and how?

What do you mean by "header"? That's a part in FM. Is that what you mean?

-Barbara

Thanks Barbara. Here's a bit more information.

So yes, we do have a multi-file solution. We recently hired a FM programer to create an interface "Launch Pad", so to speak, that acts as a central layout referencing data in the other files. I'll attach a screenshot of that. It's a very old FM system and I've inherited the mess. A longterm goal is to combine the separate files into a single file, but they are quite complicated, and it will take some time to determine what is actually being used and what isn't. But, I digress.

I do have a a portal-based menu and it is in the header part of the FM layout, yes. The layout that isn't loading the portal contents is the Contacts layout. And sometimes, in the Exhibitions layout, certain records will not show the header either.

How it should look:

post-109209-0-92786200-1380808902_thumb.

How it sometimes looks on the exhibitions screen:

post-109209-0-48605600-1380808906_thumb.

How it always looks with "contacts":

post-109209-0-56776000-1380809150_thumb.

ER diagram:

Studio Revamped.pdf

Why not ask, "We recently hired a FM programer to create an interface "Launch Pad", so to speak, " him/her?

We have a limited budget for the database. I'm trying to take on some of the less-critical things, and smaller scripts. This one just stumpped me.

If this layout is only intended for the screen, and not for printout, you don't need a header in the functional sense. Move the objects from the header part into the body part, then eliminate it.

• Like 1

We have a limited budget for the database. I'm trying to take on some of the less-critical things, and smaller scripts. This one just stumpped me.

How is that working for you?

A better question is, does the developer for hire, know what you are attempting to do to his

We recently hired a FM programer to create an interface "Launch Pad"

file he is working on?

So far it is working out fine. She (the programmer) was hired to do a large re-design, and is aware that we would take over once we reached our budget.

eos, although I like your idea, I do need the header for several layouts that we do need to print.

eos, although I like your idea, I do need the header for several layouts that we do need to print.

A header part is an attribute of a layout, not the file; or in plain English: getting rid of the header part on a layout where you don't need it hasn't any impact on layouts where you have (and need) it.

A header part is an attribute of a layout, not the file; or in plain English: getting rid of the header part on a layout where you don't need it hasn't any impact on layouts where you have (and need) it.

Of course! I will try that and let you know if it works. If it is a relationship issue, though, your suggestion would not fix that, so that can at least help me narrow down the issue.

Problem solved:

Lee, you were right to think it was a relationship issue. The reason why the menu was not loading for only some of the records in the Exhibitions layout is because the relationship was through the portal items...and on Exhibition records that had no Photo records attached, there was no connection to the Menu table. As for the Contacts layout, the problem there was that I was trying to connect to the original table occurrence, when the second is what I needed.

Thanks for your suggestions. 

This topic is 3873 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.