Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What do I need for the best possible experience?

This topic is 3826 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello I am currently creating two databases using filemaker pro 12 for a hospital. The doctors and administration want to serve the file and they are willing to have a dedicated server for my solutions. I am just wondering, is filemaker server required to remotely host the files if they are on a server? Will I need a copy of filemaker pro 12 for every admin as well to access the file?

The databases will be shared amongst 10 people as well.

Thanks for your help

The first thing I would ask is , is it 2 databases or one database with multiple tables?  you can not simply access 2 separate files using IWP or CWP if they are linked together, they need to be one file.

My personal recommendation for best experience would be Filemaker server "needed for over 5 users"   and Filemaker on each machine. this also would save a lot of programming time.

how ever if people need to access from remote locations, you may want to look at IWP for your solution. this can save you from having to purchase a bunch of filemaker pro licences.

The first thing I would ask is , is it 2 databases or one database with multiple tables?  you can not simply access 2 separate files using IWP or CWP if they are linked together, they need to be one file.

My personal recommendation for best experience would be Filemaker server "needed for over 5 users"   and Filemaker on each machine. this also would save a lot of programming time.

how ever if people need to access from remote locations, you may want to look at IWP for your solution. this can save you from having to purchase a bunch of filemaker pro licences.

Thanks for the reply! Both databases are totally different and seperate databases. One of them has multiple tables. I am not sure if I can use IWP for the hospital since they have strict privacy issues for patient information. They want to charge us over $2000 for a server. So I was wondering if filemaker server was required to access the file for over 5 users. To be honest I dont see why we would need to purchase a server when I can use "filemaker server" on a dedicated pc running as a server. I am just seeing the best and most affordable method of sharing my solutions. Any advice is greatly appreciated

I recommend you have a dedicated server.

Second, contrary to comments above, it is perfectly possible to access multiple files simultaneously using Instant Web Publishing.

Since this is a medical environment, please be sure your solution employs adequate and sufficient security features to protect the confidentiality of data and to require rigorous authentication for users.

Steven

I recommend you have a dedicated server.

Second, contrary to comments above, it is perfectly possible to access multiple files simultaneously using Instant Web Publishing.

Since this is a medical environment, please be sure your solution employs adequate and sufficient security features to protect the confidentiality of data and to require rigorous authentication for users.

Steven

So its best to have a dedicated server running filemaker server on it? Thanks for the replies. I will bring instant web publishing up with the hospital but I doubt they will allow it. My division is willing to pay for multiple copies of FM pro 12. 

To be honest I dont see why we would need to purchase a server when I can use "filemaker server" on a dedicated pc running as a server

Servers have better hardware (longer MTF, more redundancy) so they are a more stable platform than just using any old PC.

is filemaker server required to remotely host the files if they are on a server?

This sounds like you are thinking of just putting files on a file server, in a shared folder somewhere and letting the users access the files that way.  Don't do that, it is a well known cause for corrupted files.

In order to share files you need FileMaker Server.

Servers have better hardware (longer MTF, more redundancy) so they are a more stable platform than just using any old PC.

This sounds like you are thinking of just putting files on a file server, in a shared folder somewhere and letting the users access the files that way.  Don't do that, it is a well known cause for corrupted files.

In order to share files you need FileMaker Server.

Actually, no I was not thinking that because having over 20 people accessing the data like that would corrupt the files. I did my research  :laugh2:

I was debatting whether to host my databases via filemaker server on a dedicated PC I was going to purchase or hosting it with filemaker server on a dedicated server provided by the hospital I work for. The server has 2 vCPU cores, 4 Gb of RAM, 80Gb of Disk Space and WIndows Server 2008 R2. 

What do you think is a better option?

Thank you! I appreciate all the help I get on this site

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 3826 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.