New to FMP - Creating layouts based on checkbox

mdavis6537

This topic is 3868 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there,

I am brand new to FMP 12 and wow do I have a lot to learn. I am stuck and hoping you can help:

Basically what I have is forms that need filed out for different rooms in a house, but its different for each house. In one house, I might need a form for the Kitchen, Bathroom, and Bedroom. In another house, it might be the living room, office, and kitchen.

So what I have right now is a checkbox with all the different rooms. What I would like to do is, based on clicking on select items in that checkbox, to have a layout page created with each one of the checked boxes seperated out into a different layout page.

So I would have seperate pages for Kitchen, Bathroom, and living room - but they are created depending on what the user checks. This way I dont have a bunch of extra forms sitting there that they may not need for a specific job - if that makes sense.

So far, I have been able to create the check box, and I understand that by checking the boxes it adds them to my "rooms" field which I have created.

what I dont know is how do I:

1. Seperate out the rooms field and only display one room for each layout screen.

2. Populate a new layout screen dependent on how many rooms were checked( if thats even possible?)

Thanks a ton!

You can't create a layout dynamically.  You can, however, create a record, and populate it on a layout.

You haven't told us are the attributes of the rooms similar for the most part, or mostly different?

What if the house has 4 bedrooms or 2 baths? Would they have different attributes?

The answers to these questions could cause the optimal table configuration to be quite different. If you have more than one kind of room, you will need to have a many-to-many setup, with a join table between RoomNames and Houses.  If rooms have largely different attributes, then additional tables might be needed.

Here is a sample file that might help you get started on the user interface. We can't give more help on the schema until you give us more info.

rooms.fmp12.zip

This topic is 3868 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.