Split from Making of a License Key but not random

This topic is 3807 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Thxs LaRetta,

I changed it.

I think that our wording for this function is a bit misleading. After all, what does "Mark Solved" imply?

It's nice when the member lets us know when they have received a solution to their question and the Mark Solved button does that, I also like it when they can provide a thank you to who provided it.

Maybe we can change this to make it better. I'll ask Ocean West if there is a way to have our cake and eat it too. 

Lee

Maybe we can change this to make it better. I'll ask Ocean West if there is a way to have our cake and eat it too.

IMHO, we could do without this feature altogether. No offense to the posters, but they are not qualified to judge which is the best answer. I recall raising this point once before and, if memory serves correctly, Stephen agreed with me then. Nevertheless, the feature found its way  in here somehow in one of the updates.

Hi comment,

I remember the * (star) rating system too, and fought hard to get rid of it. I remember all of the discussions we had about the pros and cons with it, and I haven't missed it one bit.

I'm not sure how the "Mark Solved" came to be, I would guess that it came with a recent upgrade in our server software. I like the idea that the OP can use it inform us that they have a solution and we can move on to other questions. However, I too don't like the part where they pick a "Best Answer" for the reasons you mentioned and more. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to discussing this with Stephan soon.

Lee

p.s.

I should add, that when I'm reviewing these Mark Solved entries, I try to determine whose answer it was that they liked. Unfortunately, sometimes there are more than one good answer and I can't determine which one was actually used, or if they used a combination of two or more. :sad:

Edited by Lee Smith
p.s.

Comment is correct that the poster is usually not qualified to say which is the best answer.  Personally, I don't care for the feature either.  It is always mis-marked over on TechNet too.  It usually takes several posts and input from more than one person to completely answer in a given situation so 'the best' is not always black and white.

The point rating is great because we can mark several posts as providing great contribution to a thread.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 3807 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.