Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Progress Chart

pctechtv

This topic is 3393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field in my database called progress. This field for now is a checkbox set that has the choices, “Un Started” “In Progress” and “Complete”. Eventually I want an elaborate way to start determining the progress of certain tasks. For now this is a start to understand the way I will construct it. Is there a way to construct a chart that would take (let’s say) 8 tasks and average there progress field and summarize it to show an average bar of where there over all progress is. So I mean on a scale of 0 – 100 with 0 being “Un Started” 50 being “in Progress” and 100 being “Complete”. I also would like to know if you would have to use a script to show the found set of 8 (8 is just a number of tasks or a particular job could be 5, or 11) or is there a way to only chart for related records.

is there a way to only chart for related records.

Of course there's a way to only chart related records. It's one of the options you get in "Chart Setup > Use data from …". It doesn't seem like you want to chart related data, though: the average of tasks' progress is a single value at project level.

---

Note also that a chart requires numerical data - so you must start by translating the stage of a task as text to a measure of progress as number.

Edited by comment

I will be averaging Tasks, let’s say for a particular record I have 4 Task in progress and want the average of their progress. In another record I have 7 Tasks and I will average 7 to get the “progress” charted for the record. I can switch to radio buttons, I had setup my checkboxes so only on can be clicked, and if none are clicked it means “Un Started”. Eventually I want to have radio buttons that increment by ten and say 10%, 20%, 30%, or some other way but I want to average it for the X number of tasks for a given record. The X averaged will be the % of the records progress (hopefully charted). You asked the right question about percent complete, I will want the average of the percent complete for each records tasks.
If one record has 5 tasks

Task 1 = “Complete” (100%)

Task 2 = “Un Started” (0%)

Task 3 = “In Progress” (50%)

Task 4 = “Complete” (100%)

Task 5 = “In Progress” (50%)

Total = 300

Divided by 5 = 60% complete. The records tasks are 60% complete. So I am thinking I just need a calculation to get to 60% and then that is the only field that needs to be charted correct?

So I am thinking I just need a calculation to get to 60% and then that is the only field that needs to be charted correct?

Yes. You can have either a calculation field in the Projects table =

Average ( Tasks::cProgress )

or use a summary field in the Tasks table, defined as Average of [cProgress]. The cProgress field is a calculation field translating “In Progress” to 0.5, etc.

• 1 year later...

This topic is 3393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.