Layouts tailored to individual db users.

fmow

This topic is 3848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys.

Can someone tell me the standard practise to create personalized layouts. That is, say an employee's personal layout with their data, and everything related to them. I suppose there's an opening script and a Get(AccountName) command, but I don't know if I should use it for a PerfomFind script step or not. 

Any help appreciated. 

That questions is too generic...  Are you talking about a type of dashboard layout?

You can indeed identify the user by the get(accountname) and if you have tagged their records with that as they create and modify records then yes, you can either find them and display them or use a relationship to show their records in a set of portals if that makes business sense.

• Like 1

I am not sure what a dashboard layout is, a multifunction layout I guess. The point is I 'd like said layout to be a user specific one, to only draw based on them. I was trying to find something similar in the starter solutions and I was let down to not be able to find anything. Thanks for the reply btw.

Oh I need to tag the records. Sure. I already do so, but inconsistently.

Having said that, a record can be inputted by someone else but involve said employee. 

I assume you want one layout that would display data specific to the current user - not many user-specific layouts (that would be anything but good practice).

As Wim says, the question is too wide to give a detailed answer. Generally speaking, there are two types of user-specific data: real data that is associated with the user through some attribute (such as creation account name) and metadata (user's preferences) that would be stored in the user's record in a Users table.

I assume you want one layout that would display data specific to the current user - not many user-specific layouts (that would be anything but good practice).

As Wim says, the question is too wide to give a detailed answer. Generally speaking, there are two types of user-specific data: real data that is associated with the user through some attribute (such as creation account name) and metadata (user's preferences) that would be stored in the user's record in a Users table.

Yes, exactly, one layout is what I am after.

I see, seems like a reasonable separation between data and metadata.

Are there any free solutions where something like this is implemented so I can have a look at what approach is used?

This topic is 3848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.