Remote Administration

This topic is 8347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am running FMP5 Unlimited. Does anyone know how I can implement remote administration or open and close databases via a web browser in order to limit the load on my server while using WC?

• Newbies

Anatoli-

Could you briefly explain the remote console for me? I've looked high and low for some explanation of use of remote console/administration and can not figure out how to get it to work.

Thanks for the info!

Avery

We used AppleScript and Lasso to build a custom solution for this type of operation. See the description of our Database Manager on our web site http://www.pointinspace.com/.

If anyone wants to contact me off-list, I can supply some example AppleScripts for such to get you started.

- John

GradesDynamic.zip

quote:

Originally posted by Keith M. Davie:

"Use script for opening."

But without Unlimited 5.5 there is the danger of database files/format files problems if more than one user makes a near simultaneous request for any script.

That is true, but in web scenario no one should use scripts on web to gain FM full functionality. It will not work reliably or it may even crash the Unlimited.

On the other hand, Administrator can use scripts for opening and closing databases, because:

1. no one else will use them

2. single step script run in 0.001 second and actual opening of new database will take up to a second. In worst cases all requests will be handled with delay of 1 second, which is the same, if Administrator will open the database directly from FM.

RE: Remote console -- just see what is available for your OS

This topic is 8347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.