Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Uploading a database

This topic is 3802 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The only way to upload to Server is to use FileMaker Pro or FIleMaker Pro Advance there is a new button in your tool bar called "Share" - or in your Menu: File > Sharing > Upload to FileMaker Server

The web interface ( Server Admin ) does not have ability to upload files. 

You can also Put files in to place - but you may have to adjust their permissions.

On our FMS 11  in the admin console, there is an option to upload a database:

192oid.jpg

The new way is fine if I am on the same network. Sometimes I work from home and FTP a db to the server, and that is where my question came from.

The only way I see to move the file that I just FTP'd remotely to the server is to drop it in the database folder on the C: drive.

On windows there is no burning need to install FMP on the server to upload the file, you can just drop the file in the FMS databases folder. There are no permissions to worry about.  So having to fire up FMP just to move the file around is not necessary and just plain slower.

On OSX using the upload has the nice benefit of setting the permissions correctly.

Thanks,

I thought that was a little more work than actually needed just get the db on the server, plus the cost of the FMP license just to sit idle on the server until needed.

I did place the db in the folder via paste. I just wanted to make sure  that what I did was correct, and that I was not missing an upload feature.

This topic is 3802 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.